Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting Power BI to a remote Btrieve database

Hi,

I am doing a project where I need to connect Power BI desktop to a remote server and build dashboards. I am connected to their backend server using remote desktop connection on Windows (power BI desktop is installed on my machine, not their system). Their data is stored as .BTR files (they also have some .DDF files in their data folder). So my question is how to connect to this remote server and get data into Power BI. Once I get data into Power BI, I think I can take care of the rest. But I don't have any idea about this integration part.

I would really appreciate your help.

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous ,

If I understand your sceanrio correctly that you want to connect to the folder from the remoter server in Power BI Desktop which is installes in your local machine?

If it is, we cannot connect to the folder in the remoter server directly, we need to share the folder in a shared folder and then enter the shared path in the the folder path when you get data in Power BI.

The format of the shared path will be started with // .

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cherry,

Thank you for your help.

What about integrating with the database using an ODBC driver? I was told that it is possible, but I don't know the steps I need to take to set the ODBC connection for this specific data type (data is in .BTR format). Can you help me with this?

I would also be thankful if you provide me with any other solution that you think fits better to this scenario.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors