cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gitouttatown
Frequent Visitor

Connect to web data source like a folder?

I have some files published using apache and I am accessing them in Power BI with a Web connector. This works fine as long as I know the exact name of the file I want. But in some cases I need to import all the files in the web directory and don't know their names or how many there are.

E.g. my files are at  https://myserver/files/  and I am trying to access all the files in that web server directory in the same fashion as I coudl if using a FOLDER connnector, where I could read all the files in a Windows folder I can't seem to find any references to how to do this. I've see reference to accessing a SharePoint folder but this isn't SharePoint.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: Connect to web data source like a folder?

Not sure if there is a solution. You could just sync the files locally. Oh, yeah, Apache doesn't do that. 😉 Not easily I guess anyway. https://www.liquidweb.com/kb/how-to-sync-two-apache-web-servers/

@ImkeF any ideas here?

---------------------------------------

Putting square pegs in round holes since 1972.

I have a NEW book! 
DAX Cookbook from Packt
Over 120 DAX Recipes!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Super User III
Super User III

Hi @gitouttatown ,

I'm not familiar with it, sorry.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

gitouttatown
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, @Greg_Deckler  and @ImkeF however I don't need to sync multiple Apache servers. I have files being stored in one server and I can do a scheduled refresh with Power BI re-reading the data periodically.  My challenge is trying to find a way to treat that server directory as if it were a folder on a Windows OS, and have the functionality of a folder connection. That would allow me to get all the files in it, without knowing in advance how many there are, or their exact names. There may not be a way to do it like that.

Helpful resources

Announcements
‘Better Together’ T-Shirt Contest – Winner Announced!

‘Better Together’ T-Shirt Contest – Winner Announced!

And the winner is...

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Announcing the New Spanish Forum

Do you need help in Spanish? Check out our new Spanish community section.

April 2020 Community Highlights

April 2020 Community Highlights

Info on our Super Users, MBAS content and badges, and updates to our support articles. - Read the full Community Highlights.

MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors