Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeTheOne
Regular Visitor

Connect to mySQL DB without local gateway

I'd like to connect to a mySQL DB without using a local gateway.

The DB is currently on an AWS EC2 server, so it is possible to connect to that without a local gateway?

If not, I'd be willing to move the DB to Azure, however only as a mySQL DB, not MS SQL Server. So then, can I connect to a mySQL DB on Azure without a local gateway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unless I am mistaken, the only databases supported by the cloud gateway are Azure SQL DB, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Analysis Services and Spark on Azure HDInsight.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @JoeTheOne ,

Normally, if your data source is online we could not add it to the on-premises data gateway in power bi service.

For your scenario,  I'm not clear as I do not have the environment to have a test now. 

As this similar thread has mentioned, when we need to refresh the dataset that connects to Azure database for MySQL in Power BI, gateway is required.

If it is convenient, please have a test by yourself. You could get the data from mySQL DB which in you Azure AWS EC2 server in Power BI Desktop and publish the report in Power BI Service. Then you could go to Setting >>Dataset>>Gateway connection, it will show you whether you need to configure the gateway for this dataset.

If it don't need to have a gateway, it will show like this.

Capture.PNG

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you, I just checked and in fact it does not work without a local gateway. Sad thing that this is the case although the database resides within Azure...

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Unless I am mistaken, the only databases supported by the cloud gateway are Azure SQL DB, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure Analysis Services and Spark on Azure HDInsight.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors