Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect to a network folder behind VPN

Hello,

I'm facing a problem with connection to one of local network folder. My enterprise/windows account has access to it and when I'm connected to VPN I have no problem with accessing this folder through windows explorer or Power BI. I use regular folder connector and everything works as normal. But when I disconnect from VPN, I get this error from Power BI:

DataSource.Error: We got the IO error '53' while trying to access the path '\\folder_location\my_excel_file.xlsx"

I want to upload the final report to the PBI Service with automatic data refresh. Do you have any ideas how to resolve this? Maybe I can somehow assign read rights to Powert BI ?(in the same way my account has rights to that folder?)

Thanks in advance!

Grzegorz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Grzegorz,

This type of thing is what On-Prem Gateways are for.

You should set up a gateway machine on-premises, plugged into your office network, which you can then store credentials on to access the local network and many other data sources.

You set up your local network path as a new data source on the gateway (from within the PBI Service) then, when you publish your report to the PBI Service, you adjust the dataset settings in the Service to use your gateway data source to connect. The gateway will then use the stored credentials to access your network, grab the data, transform it, then send the new dataset to the PBI Service to refresh your report.

It's a fairly large (but not difficult) topic, so I recommend checking out the MS Docs on the subject:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem 

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi Grzegorz,

This type of thing is what On-Prem Gateways are for.

You should set up a gateway machine on-premises, plugged into your office network, which you can then store credentials on to access the local network and many other data sources.

You set up your local network path as a new data source on the gateway (from within the PBI Service) then, when you publish your report to the PBI Service, you adjust the dataset settings in the Service to use your gateway data source to connect. The gateway will then use the stored credentials to access your network, grab the data, transform it, then send the new dataset to the PBI Service to refresh your report.

It's a fairly large (but not difficult) topic, so I recommend checking out the MS Docs on the subject:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-onprem 

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pete!

Thanks for replay. I've consulted this issue with other people from my organization and yes - that's the way to handle that situation. Thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors