Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Alexander24
Helper II
Helper II

Connect to SharePoint 2007 List

Hi 

- I have a sharepoint list (2007) that my division uses to input data into

- Currently i have an excel file with the data in that i can refresh (via export to spreadsheet option (ODC file) 

- I connect to this excel file via Power BI

- Currently i have to refresh the file twice a day and then refresh PBI desktop file and then re-publish

Can anyone advise

a) Is it possible to connect to sharepoint 2007 list (Ive tried looking into XML, OLE DB however struggling to figure it out)

b) I currently store the excel file on sharepoint online (Dont ask me why i cant make a sharepoint list there, its a long story) and if Power BI web service when refreshed can make the excel file refresh the external data source

Quite stuck on this so any help will be much appreciated

Thank you

Alexander 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Alexander24,

I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to SharePoint 2007 list from Power BI. Power BI uses OData to connect to SharePoint, but SharePoint 2007 doesn’t support OData.

Besides the excel method you have described,  you can consider to import data from SharePoint list to SQL Server database with SSIS following the instructions in this blog, then  connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop and schedule refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Where there is a will there is a way!!!

I inspected the element in Google Chrome + looked through the HTML to pull the web query string and then put it into Power BI as a Web Source and it worked!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Alexander24,

I am afraid that you are not able to directly connect to SharePoint 2007 list from Power BI. Power BI uses OData to connect to SharePoint, but SharePoint 2007 doesn’t support OData.

Besides the excel method you have described,  you can consider to import data from SharePoint list to SQL Server database with SSIS following the instructions in this blog, then  connect to SQL Server database from Power BI Desktop and schedule refresh for the dataset in Power BI Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Where there is a will there is a way!!!

I inspected the element in Google Chrome + looked through the HTML to pull the web query string and then put it into Power BI as a Web Source and it worked!

Could you share how it looks the web query string?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors