Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minh
Frequent Visitor

Connect to SSAS instance on Azure Domain Joined VM with Azure AD Credentials using Power BI Desktop

Hi everyone,

in our setup we have two VMs running on Azure, a Windows 10 Client and a Windows Server 2019 Datacenter, which are both ONLY Azure Domain Joined with our Azure Active Directory. The goal is to connect to a SSAS Instance on our server using our Azure AD Credentials. The problem is when using our local windows admin credentials we can connect to our SSAS instance, but when using our Azure AD Crendentials the connections cannot be established.

Error Message:image.png

The used Azure AD user is stored as a privileged user in the SSAS database.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup/problem and can help?

Sincerely,

Minh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous Yes, i found a solution for our case. The fault was in our setup. With the command

dsregcmd /status

you can look at the state in which your device is.

State of deviceState of device

Our VM was AzureAdJoined and our server with the SSAS instance was DomainJoined. Confusingly, you could still log in with the azure crendentials on both devices. Now both devices in our setup are DomainJoined with our Azure AD Domain, so the credentials are correctly transmitted and we can log on to our SSAS instance with our Azure AD Credentials.

So our conclusion is that both devices have to be either AzureAdJoined or DomainJoined.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@minh - Were you able to find a solution?

@Anonymous Yes, i found a solution for our case. The fault was in our setup. With the command

dsregcmd /status

you can look at the state in which your device is.

State of deviceState of device

Our VM was AzureAdJoined and our server with the SSAS instance was DomainJoined. Confusingly, you could still log in with the azure crendentials on both devices. Now both devices in our setup are DomainJoined with our Azure AD Domain, so the credentials are correctly transmitted and we can log on to our SSAS instance with our Azure AD Credentials.

So our conclusion is that both devices have to be either AzureAdJoined or DomainJoined.

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @minh 

According to your image, it seems that your server name is incorrect, please make sure your server name is correct. You could refer to connecting-power-bi-to-an-azure-analysis-services-server  for details.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

minh
Frequent Visitor

@dax thanks for the answer, but i'm pretty sure the name is correct. The connection is working if i login with my local windows credentials on the VM. The problem only arises when I log on to the VM with the Azure AD user and want to establish a connection.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors