Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TonyHansson
Frequent Visitor

Connect to FTP folder with txt.files

Hi

I have succesfully connected PowerQuery to a specific txt. file on a FTP server, using the username and pasword:

ftp://username:password@ftp2-internal.gategroup.com/P07/

Using the get data from text/csv.

I want power query to access the folder, so I can choose the neewest file, but this is not working, using get data from folder:

= Folder.Files("\\ftp://username:password@ftp2-internal.gategroup.com/P07/")

Can I do this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Folder.Contents or Folder.Files is not supported for ftp sources. However, you can connect to a single file through ftp source which you have been doing.

The only way out is to get the files down to a folder on a local machin/network machine/Onedrive/Sharepoint etc.

You will have to constantly query ftp to locate the change/new files and download them. Consult thread where Microsoft Flow has been used for this purpose -  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/connection-with-ftp/td-p/91792 

But if this is a once or twice a day sort of operation, just download the files and use the downloaded files through Folder connectors.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TonyHansson
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Vijay_A_Verma 

Thank you for your help, I will not use more time on this.

Regards

Tony

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

Folder.Contents or Folder.Files is not supported for ftp sources. However, you can connect to a single file through ftp source which you have been doing.

The only way out is to get the files down to a folder on a local machin/network machine/Onedrive/Sharepoint etc.

You will have to constantly query ftp to locate the change/new files and download them. Consult thread where Microsoft Flow has been used for this purpose -  https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/connection-with-ftp/td-p/91792 

But if this is a once or twice a day sort of operation, just download the files and use the downloaded files through Folder connectors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors