Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

FreddieTheCat
Regular Visitor

Connect Power BI to org share folder .com?

I am trying to connect my org share folder with Power BI. 

I am checking online and it looks like the first step is to add data source at Gateways. This is what I am doing:

1. Choose "Folder" as Data Source Type

2. Enter the path, in my case, it has this format: \\data.companyname.com/Data

3. Credentials: I am trying both, my personal computer and share folder credential too. Unfortunately I am getting this message: 

I would to please know, it this is the right way to connect power BI with share folder, if not, I would really appreciate if any of you guys can help me to fix this issue.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @FreddieTheCat ,

If your data source is online, you don't nees to add it to gateway as online source could refresh automatically.

Please refer to this article.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @FreddieTheCat ,

It seems that you have problems when you add data source in Data gateway in Power BI Service.

The error message you provided is very general so I cannot specific the reason. 

Please confirm if your gateway is online firstly.

In addition, please check if your credential is correct.

By my test in my site, I could add the folder data source in data gateway successfully.

add data source.PNG

One more question, what is your org share folder? Is it online source or the on-premises folder? If that is an online data source, I'm afraid that you don't need to add it to data gateway. If that is the on-premises data source, I'm afraid that your crendentail should be your Windows credential. 

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-piga-msft 

I will really appreciate if you would give me some guidance.

Hi @FreddieTheCat ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Hi  @v-piga-msft ,

Thank you for your answers. I just reached out to our IT dep. The source is online.

Does this complicate the problem?

or There  are other ways of resolving it?

Hi @FreddieTheCat ,

If your data source is online, you don't nees to add it to gateway as online source could refresh automatically.

Please refer to this article.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors