Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

StaceyG
Helper I
Helper I

Connect Power BI to BambooHR

I am trying to connect Power BI to BambooHR.  I have successfully followed the steps to generate a BambooHR API key, and connected to https://api.bamboohr.com/api/gateway.php/companydomain/v1/employees/directory.  It seems that I need to update the web address to replace "employees/directory" with the table name for each table I want to utilize in Power BI.  The issue is that I cannot find a reference of all the table names.  Has anyone successfully connected to BambooHR data?  Do you know where I can find the table names?

Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
IntaBruce
Helper II
Helper II

Did anyone ever manage to solve this?
I am trying to retrieve timesheet data for all employees but get error 404 when specifying a report id.

Hoping someone can help,  Thanks

Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Here's how I connected to our BambooHR data:

1. <Optional> Create a service account in BambooHR and grant permissions to all the required fields for your query as well as the ability to create custom reports. Your service account will also need to have appropriate licensing in Office365.

2. Create a custom report in BambooHR with the fields required. Note the report ID at the end of the address when viewing the report.

3. Generate an API key in BambooHR. Make note of this API key because you will need it later.

4. Open Power BI and Get Data > Web > Address: https://api.bamboohr.com/api/gateway.php/companyDomain/v1/reports/id?format=csv (filling in the companyDomain and report ID with your data) > Username: <API key> > Password: <blank>

5. Create your visuals and publish your report to the Power BI service. 

6. Refresh your data. If prompted, update the credentials for BambooHR using the Username: <API key> and Password: x.

Good luck to you!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! 

This one works 🙂
Do you happen to know if there is a way to do the same with standard reports?
The report I want for example is numbered -40 and I keep getting a 404 error (which I am not getting using costume reports) 

Hi,

I’m currently facing the same issue, could you please share if you have found solution for the standard reports.

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not tried it with a standard report (my account doesn't have access to any of the standard reports), but the Bamboo documentation indicates that standard reports are supported. Have you tried the ID both with and without the hyphen? Are you adding the output after the report ID (?format=csv)?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again!

I have used ?format=csv, and it doesn't work...
Their documentation says "At present, only reports from the Company Reports section are supported. In the future, we may implement reports from the Report Library section if there is enough demand for it."
This means it only works for costume reports... 
I am looking for a way to override this some way because there is a ton of data that only their standard reports give (like future terminations, time tracking etc).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I interpretted that snippet differently, thinking that the Company Reports are the standard reports. I assumed since the custom reports use a different path, they added that section later and just failed to update the documentation in the Company Report section. 

I don't have any access to the standard company reports with either my user account or the service account we're using, so I can't test in my environment. However, I found BambooHR support to be responsive and knowledgable, so you might want to reach out to them directly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's how I connected to our BambooHR data:

1. <Optional> Create a service account in BambooHR and grant permissions to all the required fields for your query as well as the ability to create custom reports. Your service account will also need to have appropriate licensing in Office365.

2. Create a custom report in BambooHR with the fields required. Note the report ID at the end of the address when viewing the report.

3. Generate an API key in BambooHR. Make note of this API key because you will need it later.

4. Open Power BI and Get Data > Web > Address: https://api.bamboohr.com/api/gateway.php/companyDomain/v1/reports/id?format=csv (filling in the companyDomain and report ID with your data) > Username: <API key> > Password: <blank>

5. Create your visuals and publish your report to the Power BI service. 

6. Refresh your data. If prompted, update the credentials for BambooHR using the Username: <API key> and Password: x.

Good luck to you!

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

This site seems to list all the endpoints for this API.

Employees (bamboohr.com)

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Try to take Employees/Directory off the url and see if it shows you all the available tables.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

@mahoneypat  unfortunately I get an error when I try that:

Details: "Web.Contents failed to get contents from 'https://api.bamboohr.com/api/gateway.php/companydomain/v1/' (404): Not found"

I also tried it removing the "v1/", as well.  Same error

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors