Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jhampson
Frequent Visitor

Connect Odata resource from Power BI Services

Is there an app that will allow me to connect to an oData resource via Power BI services?  I know I can do it via the Power Bi Desktop, but what about Power Bi online services?

thanks

Jeff

12 REPLIES 12
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jhampson,

What OData data source do you connect to? Power BI Service provide content packs for some online OData sources, you can connect to these content packs in Service.

In addition, what is the problem you get after connecting to your OData source in Power BI Desktop? You can create reports in Power BI Desktop, publish reports to Power BI Service and schedule refresh for your dataset in Service.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I want to connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM online.

I've seen one of the content packs - it creates an SQL server in Azure, a kind of datawarehouse. Thing is.. there are apps for Dynamics in get data, only those apps don't seem to pull any custom data.

Hi @jhampson,

Except the Microsoft Dynamics CRM content pack, there is no method to connect to Microsoft Dynamics CRM from Power BI Service. Why not use Power BI Desktop?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

If all I use is Power BI desktop I have to keep it on in order to refresh the data. The point is that I want the data to up date on its own in the cloud and not require any onpremise connection to refresh it. I want a SaaS solution.

Now I did discover that when I upload a report created in Desktop to Online my Odata connection to that data source goes with it, and I can schedule a data refresh that way. Only today, however I discovered that my refresh didnt automatically run on its own, due to my personal gateway being offline... ok now need to figure out what that is....

Is my personal gateway my power Bi desktop?

Hi @jhampson,

Power BI personal gateway is used  to refresh dataset, it is different from your Power BI Desktop. You can check more details about Power BI gateway from this article:https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-onprem/.

As other post, if your dataset contains on-premises data sources, Power BI gateway is required when you refresh dataset.

Please check if Power BI personal gateway is running properly on your computer, you can check if data management gateway service is on as shown in the following screenshot.
1.PNG

Besides, you can use on-premises gateway to refresh your dataset. Just install on-premises gateway and configure it, then add all data sources of your dataset under the registered gateway.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

I gotcha...

So this is what I did. Because I couldnt get the data labels for the Option Sets I was using from Dynamics, and when you "Enter Data" natively in Power Bi, you can't add more rows later, I created external Excel files to hold the value and label data for each of my Option Sets. That must of been why Power Bi told me I had to use a gateway.

Even the personal gateway would not refresh my data when I was using external Excel files, I had to use the native Power Bi "Enter Data" tool to make it work.

I do find that not being able to natively get the Option Set data from Dynamics is increadibly annoying. I am moving our organization from Salesforce to Dynamics.. and I could do that very very easily in Salesforce. Working with Dynamics has been painful in comparision, which seems counter-intuitive being that Dynamics is a Microsoft product.

@jhampsonYeah that's why most of our dynamics reporting is coming out of an Azure SQL mirror of the backend. I can get option set text values from the OptionsetMetadata and GlobalOptionsetMetadata tables there. We can also set up views there that pre-process a lot of the data shaping that I formerly would have done in the Power BI query editor.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

It just seems like a lot of extra effort to manage, even if a PaaS enviroment, just to be able to see the labels of your Option Set. What the heck I am I going to do with the values of the Option Set?

At least if there was another entity in Dynamics that I could create a realtionship from that would map my Option Set Value to my Option Set Label.. that would be ok.. but to have to build an infrastructure just to map something seems ridiculous.

Hi @jhampson,

Please check the following articles about adding option set in Power BI.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt490470.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
http://crmtipoftheday.com/2016/07/14/optionsets-in-power-bi/

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Thanks Lydia... this looks like an adventure.. I'll try it.

Seems like an aweful large effort just to see an OptionSet Label.

@v-yuezhe-msftooohhh I did not know you could pass FetchXML through Power BI queries. That changes things quite a bit.

@jhampsonit is a bit, but I think you can just steal FetchXML from your Advanced Find editor in CRM and slightly modify it to fit this, rather than writing everything from scratch. I expect that for most things you'd want to query in BI there is already an existing list view that is at least close to the same query.

An OData connection to CRM online shouldn't require a gateway at all. I have a dataset connected to our dynamics 365 that updates on a schedule every day and has no gateway involved. Does your dataset include other sources aside from your CRM odata?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors