Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Landcrab
Helper I
Helper I

Connect Excel to Power BI Dataset

Hi there,

Wanting to use the 'Get Data' from Power BI Dataset in Excel as descripted in below image and article:  

Other ways to access Power BI datasets from Excel 

Landcrab_0-1599329400971.png

But I dont see that option in Excel under 'Get Data', I have an E3 SKU and Power BI Pro license assigned, From Power BI Service the 'Analyze in Excel' option works, I just don't see the option to connect directly to a Power BI Dataset from within Excel which is what I want 😞

Anyone know how what the problem is and how to fix please?

Further down the page, Microsoft's requirement description seems to indicate having a Power BI PRO license gives access to this feature..

Landcrab_1-1599329925268.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Landcrab
Helper I
Helper I

Having installed the Office Insider build means I now have the ability in Excel to connect directly to a Power BI dataset.

Thanks everyone for the other great suggestions, much appreciated.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Landcrab
Helper I
Helper I

Having installed the Office Insider build means I now have the ability in Excel to connect directly to a Power BI dataset.

Thanks everyone for the other great suggestions, much appreciated.

amitjzaveri
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

There is a possible workaround if your objective is to analyze the Power BI dataset in Excel.

(For people who see this post and are looking for a solution)

1) Login to https://app.powerbi.com/home

2) Open the required workspace

3) Click on the dataset tab

4) Click 3 dots (...) under the required dataset and press "Analyze in Excel"

Untitled (1).png

5) Now open the downloaded excel file which will be already connected to the dataset

6) You can also view connection properties in Excel and export connection file for future use

Untitled.png

Hope this helps.  Cheers!

Please mark this as a solution in case this answers your question.

Hi, this only seems to allow connecting to pivot tables, how to query a table like, EVALUATE TableName?

@RobertSlattery Once you have a pivot table with a measure in it, if you double click a value, it will create a connected "drill through" table on a new tab. You can then go into Connection Properties of that table and on the Definition tab change the command text to a DAX table query, like your example of "EVALUATE TableName".

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Landcrab - It appears that this was a feature of Power BI Publisher for Excel. That product has been retired/deprecated.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-enable-Excel-Pro-s-to-use-Power-BI-Datasets/b...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Power-BI-Publisher-for-Excel-Retired/td-p/939988

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you @Greg_Deckler  - you are absolutely right! That feature has been deprecated, but the other below mentioned option of using Office Insider Build works for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors