Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pnd

Connect 2 column in power query but the result turn to null

I want to create new column by using custom column function in Power Query Editor.

New_Column = [Column A] & "-" & [Column B]  

when the [Comlumn A] is null and the [Column B] is "Good", the result should be "-Good".

But when I used the formular as above, the result was turned that when one of these columns is null, the result of New_Column is null.

ex. [Comlumn A] is null and the [Column B] is "Good", the result was null.

[Comlumn A] is null and the [Column B] is null, the result was null.

[Comlumn A] is "Good" and the [Column B] is null, the result was null.

Please help me to figure it out,

Thank you 😻

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF's solution is great if you don't want a hyphen when one column is null.

If you want the hyphen (as in your specified example), then the coalesce operator is handy if you don't want to replace nulls with empty strings as a separate step or write out the equivalent if statements.

([Column A] ?? "") & "-" & ([Column B] ?? "")

AlexisOlson_0-1666469356005.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @pnd ,

Did the answers above help you? If so, please consider marking the most helpful answer as a solution, as this will help people searching the forum for similar questions in the future to find answers more quickly. Thanks in advance!

If the question remains unresolved, you can continue to add details to the question below and feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,
Gao
Community Support Team

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

@ImkeF's solution is great if you don't want a hyphen when one column is null.

If you want the hyphen (as in your specified example), then the coalesce operator is handy if you don't want to replace nulls with empty strings as a separate step or write out the equivalent if statements.

([Column A] ?? "") & "-" & ([Column B] ?? "")

AlexisOlson_0-1666469356005.png

Thank you for this solution! 😍

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

In general, null <operator> value  => null

@ImkeF solution is an excellent one.  You could also use an If statement to convert the null to  "".

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @pnd ,
try using this instead:

Text.Combine( { [Column A], [Column B] },  "-" )

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thank you so much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors