Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MHongisto
Frequent Visitor

Configuring existing dataset to work with gateway

I managed to get the freshly installed on-premises data gateway up and running, everythings ok in the app.powerbi service. I can make a new report, get data from our mysql database, make a few visualizations and make the scheduled refresh work.

However I haven't found a way to get this all work on an existing report usign the same mysql database and same tables. All I get is:

"You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new data gateway, or configure the data source for an existing data gateway. "

I've Googled my butt off to find a way to get the old reports to use the gateway but I just haven't found any solutions. Do I have to do all the reports from scratch or is there an alternative?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prihana
Helper V
Helper V

Make sure the Gateway is configured to use the MySQL database and the connection is active.
Delete the old (existing) datasource from app.powerbi and upload the file again. Try setting up the refresh now.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@MHongisto,

Does the existing dataset only contain MySQL data source? If so, make sure that the connection string(server name, database name) you use in Power BI Desktop match that you use in gateway.

However, if your dataset contains multiple data sources, please ensure that you add all the data sources within gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
prihana
Helper V
Helper V

Make sure the Gateway is configured to use the MySQL database and the connection is active.
Delete the old (existing) datasource from app.powerbi and upload the file again. Try setting up the refresh now.

Thanks, this worked with getting the dataset to use the gateway. I tried just uploading the dataset from desktop, but I didn’t delete the old one before uploading.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors