Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vrocca
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Configure Gateway to connect to PostgreSQL

I'm running into an error when trying to create a new data source on my data gateway:

Cannot connect to the mashup data source. See error details for more information.

PostgreSQL: We were unable to find a database provider with invariant name 'Npgsql'. This error could've been the result of provider-specific client software being required, but missing on this computer. To download client software for this provider, visit the following site and choose the 64-bit (x64) version of, at minimum, 'Npgsql version 2.0.12': https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=282716

Has anyone ran into this before? Other similar questions seem to be specific to when establishing the connection on Power BI Desktop. The solution there is to download the data provider. 

Do I need to install this on the server hosting the data gateway??

Thanks,
Victor Rocca | www.victorrocca.com
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
vrocca
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

2 Things to get this to work:

1. Install the Npgsql provider on the server that's hosting the data gateway (https://www.nuget.org/packages/Npgsql/4.0.2)

2. Reboot the server

Should now be able to use the PostgreSQL data source type when creating the data source in Power BI Service.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

@vrocca,

As your post, you would need to install Npgsql provider on the gateway machine and make sure that you have access to the postgreSQL data source on the gateway machine.

You can treat Power BI gateway as another client like Power BI Desktop. When using Power BI Desktop to connect to postgreSQL, Npgsql provider should be installed on the Desktop machine, so does the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dimebras

hi, i have the same problem, but i have installed npgsql 4xxx 3xxx and 2xxx, and continue no solution, my power bi desktop connect normaly to postgress db, but o gateway no, sollutions? thnks

I also had the same error problem. Starting from November 7, 2019 an error occurred. History does not have this error.
Thanks for your support

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here the error start 14/11/2019

I've solved the problem installing Npgsql 4.0.10 WITH GAC(!!!)

When installing, make sure that you select NpgSQL GAC Installation.

This GAC did the trick.

Then reboot the machine.

Good luck!

Hi,

How did you install it on windows server. I have downloaded the Npgsql 4.0.10 package and while installing showing below sign for GAC.  

Lithin_0-1667564452489.png

@michaelshparber 

Thank you very much, your tip was excellent for me.

After testing many other tips, I solved the problem with your tip.

How you install on windows as no executable available?

I solve this problem with ODBC

vrocca
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

2 Things to get this to work:

1. Install the Npgsql provider on the server that's hosting the data gateway (https://www.nuget.org/packages/Npgsql/4.0.2)

2. Reboot the server

Should now be able to use the PostgreSQL data source type when creating the data source in Power BI Service.

Thanks,

@vrocca,

As your post, you would need to install Npgsql provider on the gateway machine and make sure that you have access to the postgreSQL data source on the gateway machine.

You can treat Power BI gateway as another client like Power BI Desktop. When using Power BI Desktop to connect to postgreSQL, Npgsql provider should be installed on the Desktop machine, so does the gateway.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into this issue earlier this year.  I'm a little hazy on the details of the full solution, but we had to make the connection through an ODBC driver to make it work.  It was a nightmare to get running, but it worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors