Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RahulPBI
Helper I
Helper I

Concatenate Text with Week Number column

Hi Experts

I am trying to concatenate text with the a week number column but I am getting an error. I've tried two diffrent options and none work

= &"CONCATENATE("WK-",Calendar[Week])

= &"WK-"&[Week]

Can someone please help me

Regards

Rahul

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @RahulPBI 

Is what you are showing the code for a custom column in the query editor?? If so, your second option is close:

= "WK-"&[Week]

assuming of course that "Week" is the name of the column you already have and it has the week number

If this is not it share a sample of your data. This is very important to get you question answered

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

@RahulPBI 

Just update the last step. The error message is saying quite clearly what the problem is: "We cannot apply operator & to types Text and Number" [Week] is of type numer so you have to convert it to text before applying the & operator:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Week1", each "WK-"& Text.From( [Week] ) )

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving kudos if posts are helpful.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @RahulPBI 

Is what you are showing the code for a custom column in the query editor?? If so, your second option is close:

= "WK-"&[Week]

assuming of course that "Week" is the name of the column you already have and it has the week number

If this is not it share a sample of your data. This is very important to get you question answered

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

@AlB 

Thanks for your reply

Please see below what I have done so far

let

EndFiscalYearMonth = 6, //set this as the last month number of your fiscal year : June = 6, July =7 etc

StartDate= #date(2019, 1, 1), // Change start date #date(yyyy,m,d)
EndDate = #date(2020, 12, 31), // Could change to DateTime.LocalNow() if you want to always show up to the current date

/* Comment out the above StartDate and EndDate using // if you want to use a dynamic start and end date based on other query/table
You will need to change "Sales" and "Invoice Date" in 2 lines below and then remove the //
*/

//TableName = Sales,
//DateColumnName = "Invoice Date",
//StartDate = Record.Field ( Table.Min(TableName,DateColumnName) ,DateColumnName),
//EndDate = Record.Field(Table.Max(TableName,DateColumnName),DateColumnName),

DateList = List.Dates(StartDate, Number.From(EndDate)- Number.From(StartDate)+1 ,#duration(1,0,0,0)),

#"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(DateList, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
#"Named as Date" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Converted to Table",{{"Column1", "Date"}}),
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Named as Date",{{"Date", type date}}),
#"Inserted Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Calendar Year", each Date.Year([Date]), type number),
#"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Year",{{"Calendar Year", Int64.Type}}),
#"Inserted Month Number" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Month Number", each Date.Month([Date]), type number),
#"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Inserted Month Number",{{"Month Number", Int64.Type}}),
#"Long Month Name" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type2", "Month Long", each Date.MonthName([Date]), type text),
#"Inserted Week of Year" = Table.AddColumn(#"Long Month Name", "Week of Year", each Date.WeekOfYear([Date]), Int64.Type),
#"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Inserted Week of Year",{{"Week of Year", "Week"}}),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Week1", each "WK-"&[Week])
in
#"Added Custom"

Regards

Rahul

@RahulPBI 

Just update the last step. The error message is saying quite clearly what the problem is: "We cannot apply operator & to types Text and Number" [Week] is of type numer so you have to convert it to text before applying the & operator:

#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Renamed Columns", "Week1", each "WK-"& Text.From( [Week] ) )

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Thank you 

Very much appreciated

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors