Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nelsonwhyu
Frequent Visitor

Concatenate Dynamic COlumn

Hi,

I am trying to create a new Column "Key" by concatenating every column with header starting with "Level ". However, number of Levels are dynamic and varies across my source files. 

Level 1Level 2Level 3Key 
ABCA__B__C
DEFD__E__F
AEFA__E__F

As I won't know in advanced how many Level columns are there, I have a function that detects them and store in a List variable called Level_List

My question is if there's a way to replace the hard-coded column names (highlighted in red) in the following formula by my variable Level_List?
= Table.AddColumn(  Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine(  {[Level 1],[Level 2], [Level 3]}, "__")  )

Doing this:  = Table.AddColumn(  Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine( Level_List , "__")  )
gives me  Level 1__Level 2__Level 3  for each row which contenate the columns headers as Text rather than the values stored within.

Thanks!

Nelson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
artemus
Employee
Employee

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine( List.Transform(Level_List, (col) => Record.Field(_, col)), "__")  )

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
artemus
Employee
Employee

= Table.AddColumn(Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine( List.Transform(Level_List, (col) => Record.Field(_, col)), "__")  )

Thanks @artemus ! This works like magic

Glad it works for you.

Is there some part of this formula that you don't understand?

@artemus , thanks it's very helpful. The formula all makes sense.

I think I just need to get more fluent in the usage/meaning of "each" and  "_"  notation

Anonymous
Not applicable

maybe this is what you are looking for?

cols=List.RemoveLastN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1),

newKey=Table.AddColumn(  Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine(  cols, "__")  )

in newKey

Thanks @Anonymous  for looking into this!

However, 

cols=List.RemoveLastN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),1)

removes the last column but since I have no control of the source file, so the "Level " columns are not necessarily adjacent to each other nor are they always a fixed number of columns from the right.

Also, 

newKey=Table.AddColumn(  Source, "Key2", each Text.Combine(  cols, "__")  )

will concatenate columns names instead of values in each column so that will result in Level 1__Level 2__Level 3 for each row instead of 
A__B__C
D__E__F

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nelsonwhyu 

sorry. I completely misunderstood the problem.

What about this:

Table.CombineColumns(Source, List_Level, each Text.Combine( _ , "__"), "key2")

?

@Anonymous , yes I tried this before. But this replace the "Level " columns with the newly combined "key2" column, while I still need the "Level " columns so I can use them as Hierarchies in my visuals.

Otherwise, the "key2" columns is what I am looking for.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@nelsonwhyu  I was just giving an hint to to overcome the main problem

If you need complete solution, probably is like this:

newKey=Table.CombineColumns(Source, level_list, each Text.Combine(_, "__"), "keytwo"),
#"Merge di query eseguito" = Table.NestedJoin(SourceI ,{"Indice"},newKey,{"Indice"},"newKey",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
#"Tabella newKey espansa1" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Merge di query eseguito", "newKey", {"keytwo"}, {"keytwo"}),
#"Rimosse colonne1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Tabella newKey espansa1",{"Indice"})
in
#"Rimosse colonne1"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Another way to get what you want is to do in the reverse sense what done: 😁

#"Duplicata colonna" = Table.DuplicateColumn(newKey,"keytwo", "keytwo - Copia"),
#"Suddividi colonna in base al delimitatore" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Duplicata colonna", "keytwo - Copia", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("_", QuoteStyle.Csv), level_list)
in
#"Suddividi colonna in base al delimitatore"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors