Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

johnlhaase
Helper I
Helper I

Computer Selection

Hello

Does anyone have a good suggestion as to what computer configuration works best with Power Quey.

Desktop vs Laptop

CPU I7 vs I9

Ram 16 vs 32

I know what the minimum recomendations are but these are just minimums. I have an laptop with and I7, 16 Ram; I am wasting lots of time waiting for each step of my query to run. I see my CPU is reaching its limits but is this due to the number of Cores or Base Speed (2.21 GHz).

I need to justify a new purchase.

Thanks

John

6 REPLIES 6
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Desktop or Laptop, I9, 32 GB memory and SSD drives. 64-bit OS and Power BI installed.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

What does the 64-bit OS offer?

Hi @johnlhaase ,

I think that Windows 10 ( newest version ) is more suitable for you.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

Thanks for the input.

If anyone else can confirm, Greg Dekler's post that would be helpful. The more responses I get on this subject the better.

I9 and 64GB SSD and Windows 10-64 bit

Thanks for the Posts

John Haase

You definitely want 64 bit. But, understand that Power Query can still run very very poorly on a million dollar super computer. If you have a bunch of nested tables referencing columns and doing effectively sub-queries, it will bomb. 

And if you have an 8GB computer with a 128GB hard drive running an I5, Power Query can flat scream if your data source is SQL Server or a relational database and your queries are folding most or all of the work.

So as much depends on the code being efficient as it does on having a good machine, but the one Greg recommended is always a good start. I'd say processor performance will have more of a good impact on the DAX model than Power Query. To see how to make Power Query run well (or poorly) read @ImkeF 's performance tips on Power Query. That is worth way more than a few GHz of processor and a few gigs of RAM.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

he asked for with same power query file which is faster and how much.  If you don't know, you don't have to answer. Everyone already knows what you're talking about. The question here is which of the processors gives better performance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors