Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bp
Frequent Visitor

Complete end to end on premises solution using Power BI

Looking for information on the best design for a complete end to end on premises solution using Power BI

The data is in SQL server 2016 and the requirement is to keep everything (including publication which I know is still in development but due at the end of 2016) on premises ....

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @bp,

Firstly, from your description, you want to use on-premises SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services to deploy and manage reports within your organization. Currently, besides creating traditional, paginated reports, you can also create mobile reports that are optimized for smartphones and tablets. Moreover, you have a modern web portal where you can view all your reports in one place. These features have been available in SSRS 2016, for more details, please review this blog.

Secondly, when you manage reports in Power BI Service, it is also safe. For more details about Power BI Security, please review this article.  

Thirdly, when you connect to SSAS database via “Connect Live” option, on-premises gateway is required to display the reports of SSAS data source in Power BI Service. On-premises gateway is not required if you only display the reports of SQL Server data source in Power BI Service.

In addition, as you want to refresh your datasets in Power BI Service, you would need to add SSAS data source and SQL Server data source under the on-premises gateway. And please note that when you connect to SQL Server or SSAS via DirectQuery connection, there is no option to configure scheduled refresh in Power BI Service.  Scheduled refresh is only available for imported datasets. For more details, please review this article.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will there be an enterprise read-only license for viewers of the Power BI reports that are stored in 2016 SQL Server Report Manager, or will viewers of the Power BI reports still need a Power BI Pro license?

Will the user experience include navigating through Power BI sign up pages before being presented a Power BI report?

Thanks!

Jimmy G.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you be more specific in terms of your requirements? You seem to have all of the components that you need SQL 2016 and Power BI Desktop I assume. It is unclear at the moment whether or not what kind of infrastructure, if any, needs to be in place to support refresh. You could design this in a bunch of different ways depending on the requirements and load. Do you want high availability? 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

the biggest requirement is that everything stays on premises and away from anything cloud based (including Azure) for security purposes - I know this isn't possible at present but it has been promised (?) soon .... and was demo'd at Ignite

https://myignite.microsoft.com/videos/2898

the data requirement is to have Power BI desktop or Pro connect to SQL Server using Direct Query, connect to SSAS using Direct Connection - I'm wondering if that means an On Premises Enterrprise Gateway is needed as well ....

The refresh rate isn't so important right now - daily is probably enough - but this will probably increase to hourly

Thanks for your help,

I believe that this functionality was announced at PASS just a couple days ago. I believe it is in the latest SQL Server 2016 Technical Preview.

Latest book!:

They just announced the ability to publish reports in SQL Server 2016 technical preview at PASS: 

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sqlrsteamblog/2016/10/25/announcing-a-technical-preview-of-power-bi...

Latest book!:

Thanks for all your replies and help

Will be watching what gets previewed at PASS with interest !

B

Hi @bp,

Firstly, from your description, you want to use on-premises SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services to deploy and manage reports within your organization. Currently, besides creating traditional, paginated reports, you can also create mobile reports that are optimized for smartphones and tablets. Moreover, you have a modern web portal where you can view all your reports in one place. These features have been available in SSRS 2016, for more details, please review this blog.

Secondly, when you manage reports in Power BI Service, it is also safe. For more details about Power BI Security, please review this article.  

Thirdly, when you connect to SSAS database via “Connect Live” option, on-premises gateway is required to display the reports of SSAS data source in Power BI Service. On-premises gateway is not required if you only display the reports of SQL Server data source in Power BI Service.

In addition, as you want to refresh your datasets in Power BI Service, you would need to add SSAS data source and SQL Server data source under the on-premises gateway. And please note that when you connect to SQL Server or SSAS via DirectQuery connection, there is no option to configure scheduled refresh in Power BI Service.  Scheduled refresh is only available for imported datasets. For more details, please review this article.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors