Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cyiin
Frequent Visitor

Combining multiple sheets (but not all) from multiple Excel files in a Sharepoint folder

Hi!

I have a Sharepoint folder of monthly reports. Each report has more than 10 sheets, but I only need to get the data from 5 specific sheets (some of the files may not have all of those 5 sheets). The 5 sheets have pretty much the same format but requires some cleaning before the data can be combined with the others (needs some unpivoting first because the number of columns are not the same month on month).

I've tried the automatic combine and transform in power query, but it seems like I can only combine one sheet from all files or all sheets from all files.

Anyone knows how to do this or can point me towards an existing article/guide? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
edhans
Super User
Super User

Filter the files you want to expand and click the Expand icon. You should get this:

edhans_1-1664417739492.png

Click on the Parameter folder, not any sheet tabs

The next screen will look similar to this:

edhans_2-1664417800622.png

Filter the KIND column to only show Sheet if that is what you want.

Then filter the Name column to only show the 5 that you want. If one workbook only has 4, it won't matter.

Then click the Expand icon by the data column.

This will expand all 5 sheets (or as many as is available) in all files, but will ignore the sheets you do not want.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Cyiin
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, @edhans ! This was exactly the direction I needed.

For my particular case, I used the technique from Chriss Webb's blog to create a custom function to clean the data per sheet before expanding/combining them. I just tweaked it a bit to parameterize the Excel file name in addition to the parameterized worksheet names.

Chris Webb's BI Blog: Combining Data From Multiple Worksheets In The Same Excel Workbook Using Power...

Great @Cyiin Glad I was able to help

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

edhans
Super User
Super User

Filter the files you want to expand and click the Expand icon. You should get this:

edhans_1-1664417739492.png

Click on the Parameter folder, not any sheet tabs

The next screen will look similar to this:

edhans_2-1664417800622.png

Filter the KIND column to only show Sheet if that is what you want.

Then filter the Name column to only show the 5 that you want. If one workbook only has 4, it won't matter.

Then click the Expand icon by the data column.

This will expand all 5 sheets (or as many as is available) in all files, but will ignore the sheets you do not want.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors