Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combining eight columns into four

Hi, I have not found the exact answer for this yet, so would be happy with some help. I have data is spread over eight columns, but I would like to have it in one long list. I cannot figure out how to do it in PowerQuery so I'd gladly appreciate some help. My data looks like this now:

ValueDateValue_1Date_1Value_2Date_2Value_3Date_3
100001-01-2020100401-01-2020100801-02-2020101201-03-2020
100101-01-2020100501-02-2020100901-02-2020101301-03-2020
100201-01-2020100601-02-2020101001-02-2020101401-03-2020
100301-01-2020100701-02-2020101101-02-2020101501-03-2020

And I would need it to look like this:

ValueDate
100101-01-2020
100201-01-2020
100301-01-2020
100401-01-2020
100501-02-2020
100601-02-2020
100701-02-2020
1008.......01-02-2020......

Thanks in advance 🙂 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Solution I:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bcxbCoAwDETRveS7wiRtfayldP/bsGpB0Av5yYG5rZlLsmTyZVwormdYAdunxWse0/JjPd1Fh3X9r3VAMWMxoLjCWmAFixmKG6wdrH6K/QQ=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Value = _t, Date = _t, Value_1 = _t, Date_1 = _t, Value_2 = _t, Date_2 = _t, Value_3 = _t, Date_3 = _t]),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {}, "Attribute", "V"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Integer-Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.IntegerDivide(_, 2), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Integer-Divided Column", {"Index"}, {{"All", each Text.Combine(_[V],"#(tab)")}}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Index"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "All", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Value", "Date"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Value", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Solution II, which borrowed @Jimmy801 's elegant solution but with a bit amendment,

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("bcxbCoAwDETRveS7wiRtfayldP/bsGpB0Av5yYG5rZlLsmTyZVwormdYAdunxWse0/JjPd1Fh3X9r3VAMWMxoLjCWmAFixmKG6wdrH6K/QQ=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Value = _t, Date = _t, Value_1 = _t, Date_1 = _t, Value_2 = _t, Date_2 = _t, Value_3 = _t, Date_3 = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value_1", Int64.Type}, {"Date_1", type date}, {"Value_2", Int64.Type}, {"Date_2", type date}, {"Value_3", Int64.Type}, {"Date_3", type date}}),

ListSplit = List.Split(Table.ColumnNames(#"Changed Type"), 2),
    CreateTableGroups = List.Transform(ListSplit,
        each Table.FromColumns(List.Accumulate({0..List.Count(_)-1}, {}, (s,c)=>s&{Table.Column(#"Changed Type", _{c})}), {"Date","Value"})
    ),
    TableCombine = Table.Combine(CreateTableGroups)
in
    TableCombine

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

Hi, @Anonymous , you might follow these steps,

1. Import your own actual data into PQ;
  2. Copy any one of solutions proposed here ( code after the step "Source");
  3. Open up Advanced Editor, append the code proposed after your own step "Source";

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

Hello @Anonymous 

you have to dig in the M-code to make things work. You can create your query (read from Workbook) and goto the advanved editor and replace your in statement with this code (Add a "," after your your code before pasting. Subsitute the #"Changed Type" with your last stepname. 

CreateTableGroups = List.Transform( ListSplit, (lst)=> Table.FromColumns({Table.Column(#"Changed Type", lst{0}),Table.Column(#"Changed Type", lst{1})}, {"Value", "Date"})),
in
    TableCombine

this is the most straightforward you can do. You can also use a more professional way to handle it, to create a new function like this @Anonymous mentioned it already. Create a new blank query and copy paste this code there an name the query TransformYourTable

(tbl as table) =>
let

ListSplit = List.Split(Table.ColumnNames(tbl), 2),
    CreateTableGroups = List.Transform( ListSplit, (lst)=> Table.FromColumns({Table.Column(tbl, lst{0}),Table.Column(tbl, lst{1})}, {"Value", "Date"})),
in
    TableCombine

then go to your query from the workbook, click on the table-symbol and select "invoke custom function"

Right click on your last step and select "Insert Step After"

Jimmy801_1-1603344409968.png

go to the formula bar and put your new custom function

Before

Jimmy801_2-1603344458368.png

After

Jimmy801_3-1603344520211.png

Hope this helps

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all! I tried the version from @Jimmy801 and it worked fine 🙂 

wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

wdx223_Daniel_0-1603345701355.png

= Table.Combine(List.Transform(List.Split(Table.ToColumns(Source),2),each Table.FromColumns(_,{"Value","Date"})))

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Solution I:

let
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {}, "Attribute", "V"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Unpivoted Columns",{"Attribute"}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Integer-Divided Column" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Index", {{"Index", each Number.IntegerDivide(_, 2), Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Integer-Divided Column", {"Index"}, {{"All", each Text.Combine(_[V],"#(tab)")}}),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Grouped Rows",{"Index"}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Columns1", "All", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("#(tab)", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Value", "Date"}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Value", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Solution II, which borrowed @Jimmy801 's elegant solution but with a bit amendment,

let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Value", Int64.Type}, {"Date", type date}, {"Value_1", Int64.Type}, {"Date_1", type date}, {"Value_2", Int64.Type}, {"Date_2", type date}, {"Value_3", Int64.Type}, {"Date_3", type date}}),

CreateTableGroups = List.Transform(ListSplit,
        each Table.FromColumns(List.Accumulate({0..List.Count(_)-1}, {}, (s,c)=>s&{Table.Column(#"Changed Type", _{c})}), {"Date","Value"})
    ),
in
    TableCombine

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CNENFRNL  , thank you, but maybe I was a bit unclear. What I meant is that, the data I showed in my example is just example data, and my real query where I have the data contains "real data" (and is a big file). So I would need to modify the code that @Jimmy801  and @mahoneypat kindly provided in order to 'plug' my source into the rest of the steps specified below. Since the source I have is an excel web file I'd need to paste my source somewhere in below code to make it work - but I cannot figure out where. 

Hi, @Anonymous , you might follow these steps,

1. Import your own actual data into PQ;
  2. Copy any one of solutions proposed here ( code after the step "Source");
  3. Open up Advanced Editor, append the code proposed after your own step "Source";

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have slightly modified the solution to make it a function. It accepts a table and a list of resulting columns and split the table to the number of columns provided.

Copy this bit into a new blank query (name it fSplitColumns, otherwise change the function name in the calling line):

(mTable as table, listResultColumns as list) =>
    let
        //listResultColumns = {"Date", "Value"},
        ListSplit = List.Split(Table.ColumnNames(mTable), List.Count(listResultColumns)),
        CreateTableGroups = List.Transform(ListSplit, each Table.FromColumns(List.Accumulate({0..List.Count(_)-1}, {}, (s,c)=>s&{Table.Column(#"Changed Type", _{c})}), listResultColumns)),
    in
        TableCombine

Call it in your code like this passing your last step in pre-processing instead of #"Changed Type" and your column names in the function call:

let

Output = fSplitColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Date", "Value"})

in Output

Kind regards,

JB

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jimmy801 @mahoneypat thank you for your answers. Can you tell me which parts I would need to replace to make it work with my query (source)? My source is an excel file on Teams, so technically an excel online workbook. Thanks in advance. 

Hello @Anonymous 

you have to dig in the M-code to make things work. You can create your query (read from Workbook) and goto the advanved editor and replace your in statement with this code (Add a "," after your your code before pasting. Subsitute the #"Changed Type" with your last stepname. 

CreateTableGroups = List.Transform( ListSplit, (lst)=> Table.FromColumns({Table.Column(#"Changed Type", lst{0}),Table.Column(#"Changed Type", lst{1})}, {"Value", "Date"})),
in
    TableCombine

this is the most straightforward you can do. You can also use a more professional way to handle it, to create a new function like this @Anonymous mentioned it already. Create a new blank query and copy paste this code there an name the query TransformYourTable

(tbl as table) =>
let

ListSplit = List.Split(Table.ColumnNames(tbl), 2),
    CreateTableGroups = List.Transform( ListSplit, (lst)=> Table.FromColumns({Table.Column(tbl, lst{0}),Table.Column(tbl, lst{1})}, {"Value", "Date"})),
in
    TableCombine

then go to your query from the workbook, click on the table-symbol and select "invoke custom function"

Right click on your last step and select "Insert Step After"

Jimmy801_1-1603344409968.png

go to the formula bar and put your new custom function

Before

Jimmy801_2-1603344458368.png

After

Jimmy801_3-1603344520211.png

Hope this helps

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Jimmy801
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello @Anonymous 

check out this solution. It splits the table into pieces of 2 columns and change the column names to value and date. Afterwards the tables are combined again

let
in
    TableCombine

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Here is one way to do it with your example data.  To see how it works, just create a blank query, go to Advanced Editor, and replace the text there with the M code below.

let
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Changed Type", "Index", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Added Index", {"Index"}, "Attribute", "Value.1"),
    #"Extracted Text Before Delimiter" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", {{"Attribute", each Text.BeforeDelimiter(_, "_"), type text}}),
    #"Added Index1" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Extracted Text Before Delimiter", "Index2", 1, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Inserted Addition" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Index1", "Addition", each Number.RoundUp([Index2] / 2,0), type number),
    #"Removed Columns2" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Inserted Addition",{"Index", "Index2"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Removed Columns2", List.Distinct(#"Removed Columns2"[Attribute]), "Attribute", "Value.1"),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Pivoted Column",{"Addition"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Columns",{{"Date", type date}, {"Value", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Changed Type1",{{"Value", Order.Ascending}})
in
    #"Sorted Rows"

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors