Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

k1s1
Helper I
Helper I

Combining dates as text in a grouping step

Hello,

I'm trying to group so that I have columns containing text separated by commas, one of which will group dates producing this kind of output in each cell

"12 Mar 2021, 13 Apr 2021"

This is the M for the step that I have tried:

= Table.Group(#"Added Custom1", {"Referral Reference", "vs Target"}, {
        {"MDTs", each Text.Combine([Type],", "), type nullable text}, 
        {"MDT Dates", each Text.Combine(Date.ToText([Event Date],"dd MMM yyyy"),", "),type nullable text}
        })

This columns works fine, creating a list of text, separated by commas:

{"MDTs", each Text.Combine([Type],", "), type nullable text}, 

So I tried to adapt it for the dates as below but this for this column I get and "Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Date."

{"MDT Dates", each Text.Combine(Date.ToText([Event Date],"dd MMM yyyy"),", "),type nullable text}

I was assuming I could simoply wrap the date field with Date.ToText, but that didn't seem to work.  What is the correct syntax /  approach?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

• the Text.Combine function takes a LIST as input and concatenates the various elements in a single text string.
  • the date.totext function takes a DATE TYPE value as input.

in the following expression, you are asking the Date.ToText function to work on a list represented by the column content [Event Date]

prova (non ho testato il codice: potrebbero esserci errori di sintassi) a cambiarla nel seguente modo, per consentire alla funzione di agire individualmente su ogni singolo elemento della lista:

{"MDT Dates", each Text.Combine(List.Transform([Event Date], (dtt)=>Date.ToText(dtt,"dd MMM yyyy")),", "),type nullable text}

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
k1s1
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you

Anonymous
Not applicable

• the Text.Combine function takes a LIST as input and concatenates the various elements in a single text string.
  • the date.totext function takes a DATE TYPE value as input.

in the following expression, you are asking the Date.ToText function to work on a list represented by the column content [Event Date]

prova (non ho testato il codice: potrebbero esserci errori di sintassi) a cambiarla nel seguente modo, per consentire alla funzione di agire individualmente su ogni singolo elemento della lista:

{"MDT Dates", each Text.Combine(List.Transform([Event Date], (dtt)=>Date.ToText(dtt,"dd MMM yyyy")),", "),type nullable text}

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors