Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Combine all sheets with different names from multiple files

Hi,

I have multiple cash book files representing different companies, each file has multiple worksheets, and each worksheet has a different name to represent a different bank account.
All worksheets have the same column headers.
Is it possible to merge all these worksheets with different names in all files into one table?

I can only find solutions to merge multiple worksheets from a single file or merge multiple worksheets with the same name from multiple files, but these do not solve my problem.

Anyone can share the solution?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hello @Anonymous 

read from a folder, where you have all your files. On the folder data add this formula (hopefully you are reading from a sheet and not from a table, otherwise you would need to adapt the code a little bit

Table.Combine( List.Transform( Excel.Workbook([Content])[Data], each Table.PromoteHeaders(_)))

this formula gives you combines tables form every single file. Right click on your step on the right side and choose insert step after. User here now again a table.combine where you are reference your previous step and your newly created column

Table.Combine(#"Added Custom"[TablesFromFile])

here a complete example

let
    Source = Folder.Files("YourFolderWithFilesToMerge"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TablesFromFile", each Table.Combine( List.Transform( Excel.Workbook([Content])[Data], each Table.PromoteHeaders(_)))),
    CombineAllFiles = Table.Combine(#"Added Custom"[TablesFromFile])
in
    CombineAllFiles

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works. 

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

Hello @Anonymous 

this code now adds the sheet name before combining

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TablesFromFile", each Table.Combine(Table.AddColumn(Excel.Workbook([Content]), "WithSheetName", (add)=> Table.AddColumn(Table.PromoteHeaders(add[Data]),"Sheet name", each add[Name] ))[WithSheetName])),
in
    CombineAllFiles

Jimmy801_0-1609230392410.png

Copy paste this code to the advanced editor in a new blank query to see how the solution works.

If this post helps or solves your problem, please mark it as solution (to help other users find useful content and to acknowledge the work of users that helped you)
Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Jimmy801 

I got it perfectly, thank you very much!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jimmy, 

Thank you for the sharing and it works now!

Can I can have a column to indicate the name of worksheet so i know the records are belong to which bank?

Attached with the code because i did some row filters.

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Users\Sharepoint\Cash Book"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TablesFromFile", each Table.Combine( List.Transform( Excel.Workbook([Content])[Data], each Table.PromoteHeaders(_)))),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom", each ([Name] = "CompanyA Cash Book 2020.xlsx" or [Name] = "CompanyB Cash Book 2020.xlsx")),
 CombineAllFiles = Table.Combine(#"Filtered Rows"[TablesFromFile]),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(CombineAllFiles,{"Transaction Date", "Description", "Amount", "Category", "Balance", "Value Date", "PIC"}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Removed Other Columns",{{"Transaction Date", type date}, {"Description", type text}, {"Amount", type number}, {"Category", type text}, {"Balance", type number}, {"Value Date", type date}, {"PIC", type text}, {"(formula purposes)", type text}}),
    #"Filtered Rows1" = Table.SelectRows(#"Changed Type", each ([Amount] <> null))
in
    #"Filtered Rows1"

Hello @Anonymous 

this code now adds the sheet name before combining

let
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "TablesFromFile", each Table.Combine(Table.AddColumn(Excel.Workbook([Content]), "WithSheetName", (add)=> Table.AddColumn(Table.PromoteHeaders(add[Data]),"Sheet name", each add[Name] ))[WithSheetName])),
in
    CombineAllFiles

Jimmy801_0-1609230392410.png

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Thank you, it helped. But there is a problem i am facing. I want to add File Name in a column as well as we added sheet name. it will be easier for me to give reference to. Kindly respond at earliest. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi AlB,

Thank you for the reply.

I have no problem to merge multiple worksheets from a single file, but my problem is to merge multiple files that each with multiple worksheets with different name.

cashbook.PNG

Then the second file will be ComB BankA USD and etc.

Hello @Anonymous 

read from a folder, where you have all your files. On the folder data add this formula (hopefully you are reading from a sheet and not from a table, otherwise you would need to adapt the code a little bit

Table.Combine( List.Transform( Excel.Workbook([Content])[Data], each Table.PromoteHeaders(_)))

this formula gives you combines tables form every single file. Right click on your step on the right side and choose insert step after. User here now again a table.combine where you are reference your previous step and your newly created column

Table.Combine(#"Added Custom"[TablesFromFile])

here a complete example

let
in
    CombineAllFiles

Kudoes are nice too

Have fun

Jimmy

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much!  It works

AlB
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

If you can already merge multiple worksheets from a single file, what exactly is the problem? You can just merge the queries that result from those files, can you not?

It would help if you can share a folder with some dummy files that reproduce the problem

Please mark the question solved when done and consider giving a thumbs up if posts are helpful.

Contact me privately for support with any larger-scale BI needs, tutoring, etc.

Cheers 

SU18_powerbi_badge

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors