Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

chrisinqueens

Combine Binaries not showing Source.Name column

Hi I am trying to combine many files of the same size and shape. They are all in one folder and are csv files. I load the folder and get the list of folder files with all the other attributes etc. But when I combine the binaries (data in each file) the data in the file gets combined fine, but the Source.Name column is not preserved in the query. So I get all the data combined, but with no column to tell me which file is from, its useless. All the tutorials show Source.Name being preserved when the Combine Binaries tool is run. Am I missing a setting? What am I doing wrong? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @chrisinqueens,

all that can be done in the Power Query Editor UI.

Start with getting all files of a folder - you already have this step. Then click on Combine Files next to Content.

Capture.PNG

The following mask will appear. Click on OK.

Capture2.PNG

The Power Query Editor creates many steps while transforming your data. The first column contains the file names.

Capture3.PNG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PowerBiKing
Frequent Visitor

I know this is an old thread but I was having the same issue today. This was despite following the issue outlined in the solution.

I manged to fix it by not re-naming the files "Name" column. I realised I wasn't getting the Source.File column after combining because I had already manually changed the column to "Source File" or something similar. 

So for anybody having the same issue, don't re-name the "Name" column before combining.

Thanks for this.  I still can't Source - do you think if you only have one Tab in your Excel file, it give you no Source column? 

Nolock
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @chrisinqueens,

all that can be done in the Power Query Editor UI.

Start with getting all files of a folder - you already have this step. Then click on Combine Files next to Content.

Capture.PNG

The following mask will appear. Click on OK.

Capture2.PNG

The Power Query Editor creates many steps while transforming your data. The first column contains the file names.

Capture3.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors