Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

diegolima
Helper III
Helper III

Column with number/text for date

Hello guys, how are you? I need help, I have a table and I need to change a column of number/text for date but when I try to change a error is showing:

Sem título2806.png

Sem título2806_2.png

Can someone help me?

Thank you all!

7 REPLIES 7
nandic
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

There is a problem as data is integer type in format yyyymmdd, Power Query can't recognize it as date.
I added new column using this formula:
Date.FromText(Text.Start(Number.ToText([Date Key]),4) & "-" & Text.Range(Number.ToText([Date Key]),4,2) & "-" & Text.End(Number.ToText([Date Key]),2))
After that, just change type of new column to date.

Example:
Int to Date.PNG

v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @diegolima 

Power query date format is based on your system region setting, you can't manually modify it and keep date type in power query side. I'd like to suggest you refer to the similar thread to see if it helps.

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @diegolima ,

you should change column type from number to text and then change to date.

To give an idea have a look here:

let
    Origine = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\abcdef\OneDrive - TIM\MyD2020\BI\date from number.xlsx"), null, true),
    Tabella2_Table = Origine{[Item="Tabella2",Kind="Table"]}[Data],
    #"Modificato tipo" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Tabella2_Table,{{"Date", type text}, {"Country", Int64.Type}}),
    toDate=Table.TransformColumns(#"Modificato tipo", {"Date", Date.FromText})

in
    toDate

image.png

image.png

image.png

HI @Anonymous 

I tried to change it to text first, but it didn't work:

Sem título2806_3.png

Sem título2806_4.png

Do you know what else I can do?

Thanks for all

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @diegolima 

You are trying to change column type, the solution from @Anonymous assumed transforming the content of the column.

You need to first change the type to Text, on the next step you need to transform the data using Data.From. If this does not work adapt the second step to something like this.

= Table.TransformColumns(Source, {{"Column1", each Date.FromText(_, "en-GB"), type date}})

The solution from  @nandic should also work, so you can use it as well.

Kind regards,

JB

Anonymous
Not applicable

in my environment:

image.png

try using:

Table.TransformColumns(#"Modificato tipo", {"Date", each Date.FromText(_,"it-IT")})
in
    toDate

Might be a locale issue. Try using the bottom option of "using locale" and choose something like pt-br

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors