Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lorenzc
Frequent Visitor

Column headers formatted as date from pivot column with date values

Hi all,

I struggle to arrive at column headers formatted as dates in my Power Query output table. My searches haven't helped me so far, hence this post.

In the Power Query, a date Date column is pivoted:

= Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns", {{"Week Ending", type text}}, "en-DE"), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Reordered Columns", {{"Week Ending", type text}}, "en-DE")[#"Week Ending"]), "Week Ending", "Value", List.Sum)

My problem is that the headers in the output table are not recognized as dates and are formatted as text.

The result is the same, regardless whether I use en-DE or en-US.

Changingboth instances of {"Week Ending", type text} to {"Week Ending", type date} throws up an error: "Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value #date(2019, 3, 1) to type Text. Details: Value=01-Mar-19 Type=[Type]"

Appreciate any hint how to resolve!

Column to Pivot.pngOutput table text headers.png

3 REPLIES 3
watkinnc
Super User
Super User

Column Headers are always and automatically type text.

--Nate

I’m usually answering from my phone, which means the results are visualized only in my mind. You’ll need to use my answer to know that it works—but it will work!!
lorenzc
Frequent Visitor

Thanks @KT_Bsmart2gethe,

unfortunately, I couldn't get your code to work, these are the errors:
Expression.Error: The name 'en.DE' wasn't recognized.
And after removing ", en.DE"
The column 'Week Ending' of the table wasn't found.

Looking at the Pivot.Table syntax, is seems clear that the resulting headers are text:
"Table.Pivot(table as table, pivotValues as list, attributeColumn as text, [...]", hence the need for transformation of the headers to a date format after the Pivot step (as I interpret it).

gorilla.bi demonstrates dynamic (list-based) column renaming (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gndANP-ObQg and https://gorilla.bi/power-query/transform-column-names/) but again, I am stuck at the last step.
I could not find an option to post my sample file here, so adding screenshots and my M code at the end of this post.
Especially the comparison of RenamedColumnsError1 (produces an error) and RenamedColumnsWorks (no error, but text headers in output table) illustrates where I'm stuck:
RenamedColumnsError1 = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {ListOfHeaders, List.Combine({ListOfNonDateHeaders, ListOfDateHeaders}) } )),
RenamedColumnsWorks = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {ListOfHeaders, List.Combine({ListOfNonDateHeaders, List.Skip(ListOfHeaders,6)}) } ))

Anyone a thought or different approach?
Thanks!

M Code

let
Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="WeekData"]}[Content],
#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Region", type text}, {"Week Ending", type date}, {"Contracted", Int64.Type}, {"Forecasted", Int64.Type}, {"Actual", Int64.Type}}),
#"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Region", "Week Ending"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
#"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "RegionAttribute", each [Region]&" "&[Attribute]),
#"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Added Custom",{{"RegionAttribute", Order.Ascending}, {"Week Ending", Order.Ascending}}),
#"Reordered Columns" = Table.ReorderColumns(#"Sorted Rows",{"Region", "Week Ending", "Value", "Attribute", "RegionAttribute"}),
TransformColumns = Table.TransformColumns(#"Reordered Columns", {{"Week Ending", Date.From}}),
PivotedColumn = Table.Pivot(Table.TransformColumnTypes(TransformColumns, {{"Week Ending", type text}}), List.Distinct(Table.TransformColumnTypes(TransformColumns, {{"Week Ending", type text}})[#"Week Ending"]), "Week Ending", "Value", List.Sum),
ListOfHeaders = Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn),
ListOfNonDateHeaders = List.FirstN(Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn),6),
ListOfDateHeaders = List.Transform(List.Skip(Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn),6), Date.FromText),
ListOfAllHeaders = List.Combine({ListOfDateHeaders, ListOfNonDateHeaders}),
RenamedColumnsError = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn), List.Combine({ListOfDateHeaders, ListOfNonDateHeaders}) } )),
RenamedColumnsError1 = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {ListOfHeaders, List.Combine({ListOfNonDateHeaders, ListOfDateHeaders}) } )),
RenamedColumnsWorks = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {ListOfHeaders, List.Combine({ListOfNonDateHeaders, List.Skip(ListOfHeaders,6)}) } )),
RenamedColumnsWorks1 = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn), ListOfHeaders } )),
RenamedColumnsWorks2 = Table.RenameColumns(PivotedColumn, List.Zip( {ListOfHeaders, Table.ColumnNames(PivotedColumn)} ))
in
RenamedColumnsWorks2

Source Table: WeekData

lorenzc_0-1675257473396.png

Output Table: WeekData (unpivot)

lorenzc_1-1675257549472.png

KT_Bsmart2gethe
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @lorenzc ,

Try the code below after the Table.Pivot step:

Table.TransformColumns(
     PreviousStepName,
     {
       { "Week Ending", Date.From, en.DE}
     }
)

Regards

KT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors