Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hitank13
Employee
Employee

Column Distribution

I have a table where I see overall row count as 2304 with a unique column but somehow when I enable the column distribution I see the 2323 distinct values however the unique records shows as 2304. Unable to figure out why this difference shows up and why the distinct values show more than total values in the column?

6 REPLIES 6
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @hitank13 ,

Try Debugging.

Create a measure.

DC = DISCTINCTCOUNT('Table'[ColumnName])

CR = COUNTROWS('Table')

See which value turns up twice.

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

I created the measures and I see the count for both the measures is same with the unique values showing in column distribution however I see the difference in the distinct values in column distribution which is more than the number I see in overall values/rows in the table.

DC Measure count - 2302

CR Measure count - 2302

Unique value count in Column distribution- 2302

Distinct value count in Column distribution- 2323

Hi @hitank13 

Could you share how you calculate the column or the measure?

Best Regards

Maggie

Hey Maggie,

CR = COUNTROWS('TABLE')
DC = DISTINCTCOUNT('TABLE'[COLUMN])
Both of those show me the same count of 2302

However the difference I am seeing when I go to Power Query >>View tab>> enable Column Distribution and go to specific Column then I see the unique value shows as 2302 but distinct value shows as 2319. I am unable to figure out how that number shows 2319 when there are overall 2302 rows only.

Hi @hitank13 

Distinct value means distinct count of the values,

Unqiue values means how many values repeat only once.

Capture4.JPG

Measure 2 = COUNTROWS('Table (2)')

countrows will count all rows in one table.

Best Regards
Maggie
Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for explaning the difference between Unique and Distinct, though I understand the difference.

Let me explain the issue with the image you posted. As per the image you see row count as 8, distinct value as 5 and unique value as 3. however as per my case it is showing row count as 2302, unique count as 2302, but distinct count as 2319 instead of showing 2302 only(It is more on primary key column which does not have any duplicate record). I am wondering how come the distinct values are showing more than the total row count?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors