Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

onedayover
Helper II
Helper II

Clear all cells within a table that contain a particular string

Hi All

Would anyone know how I could change the code below to clear all cells within a table that have that same string and not just a single column?

Example...
= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", each [syllabus], each if Text.Contains([syllabus], "claimed") then "" else [syllabus], Replacer.ReplaceText, {"syllabus"})

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Actually, this is probably more correct and uniform to the template:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", "claimed", "", (x, y, z)=> if Text.Contains(x, y) then z else x, Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance"))

Cheers,

John

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
wdx223_Daniel
Super User
Super User

=Table.TransformColumns(#"Extract Instance",{},each  if Text.Contains(_, "claimed") then "" else _)

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hi all,

I think this is the way to do it if we need to clear all other cells in a row that contains claimed in [syllabus]:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", each [syllabus], null, (x, y, z)=> if y = "claimed" and x <> "claimed" then "" else x, Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance"))

I am not sure however about the performance of the above code on large sets of data, theoretically, it looks through and resolves every cell in the table, which should (in tehory) be quite CPU consuming. May be test it against filtering out the "claimed" rows, delete all other columns and append back to the "unclaimed" portion of the table as suggested by @ImkeF.

And this one removes all cells that contains calimed leaving all other cells as they were:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance","claimed","",Replacer.ReplaceValue,Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance"))

Kind regards,

John

Hi John
My apologies, I don't think I explained this well. In my table (courses), the code I provided clears any cell within the column "syllabus" where the value "claimed" appears. I'm needing to change this code to clear any cell, within the entire table (not just the column "syllabus" and not the entire row), where the value "claimed" appears. "Extract Instance" belongs to the last step in my code.

I did try your second example (Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance","claimed","",Replacer.ReplaceValue,Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance")), however, I wasn't able to get it to work.

I'm not entirly sure if what I am asking is possible, however I hope this clarifies better.

I appreciate your response.

Hi @onedayover,

Sorry, my fault, because I gave you a code that clears the cells that equal to claimed exactly, not the ones that contain it.

This is the version to solve the contains scenario:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", each [syllabus], null, (x, y, z)=> if Text.Contains(x, "claimed") then "" else x, Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance"))

Cheers,

John

This works perfectly, thank you John!

jbwtp
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Actually, this is probably more correct and uniform to the template:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", "claimed", "", (x, y, z)=> if Text.Contains(x, y) then z else x, Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance"))

Cheers,

John

v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @onedayover ,

Please try:

= Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance","claimed","",Replacer.ReplaceText,{"syllabus", "Column2", "Column3"})

and replace "Column2", "Column3" with all field names in the table.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Hi Gao, thanks for getting back to me. I did try it however the code caused errors in all columns when applied. I'm trying to only clear the values from those cells in the table that contain a particular word - that being "claimed" in this example.

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @onedayover ,
if I understand the problem correctly, I originally thought that replacement on all table columns like so would work:

Table.ReplaceValue(#"Extract Instance", each [syllabus], each if Text.Contains([syllabus], "claimed") then "" else [syllabus], Replacer.ReplaceValue, Table.ColumnNames(#"Extract Instance") )

... but it didn't 🙂
Couldn't find a way to make it work with the Table.ReplaceValue-function. So you might want to go with filtereing out those rows completely instead and replace them with empty rows (whatever you want to achieve with that operation..)

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors