Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Checking multiple columns for value, ignoring null

Hello,

I am trying to replace the values of a column from the values of another column (if not null).  I have 3 columns [Zip Code], [Zip Code.1], and [ZipCode] -- no row has null across for the 3 values. I want to get 1 column [NewPostal]. I am testing this first by creating a conditional column then will put that formula into the Replace.Values so i can replace the null values in the [Zip Code] column

My Test for the new column = Table.AddColumn(#"Expanded Zip Code to MSA", "NewPostal", each if [Zip Code] = null then [Zip Code.1] else if [Zip Code.1] = null then [ZipCode] else if [ZipCode] = null then [Zip Code] else [Zip Code])

Here i filtered to where [NewPostal] = null and you can see [ZipCode] has a value/not null

cesarvaldez_0-1663001303834.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The first part of the if is probably the problem. If Zip Code and Zip Code.1 are both null, you will get null. You can use the Coalesce syntax to get your desired result by updating the each part with the below syntax

each [Zip Code] ?? [Zip Code.1] ?? [ZipCode]

It will return the first non-null value.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

The first part of the if is probably the problem. If Zip Code and Zip Code.1 are both null, you will get null. You can use the Coalesce syntax to get your desired result by updating the each part with the below syntax

each [Zip Code] ?? [Zip Code.1] ?? [ZipCode]

It will return the first non-null value.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors