Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Iwanicki
Frequent Visitor

Check for match when one of the tables has multiple keys concatenated

I need to check if there is a match between two tables. One of the tables has some records that have multiple keys concatenated. Example:

Table1

ServerName ServerIP
A11.11.11
B5.5.5;6.6.6;7.7.7
C8.8.8

Table2

ServerIP

What I need to do:
For each ServerName, check if all its ServerIPs from Table1 have a match in Table2. In the case presented above, there is a full match for ServerNames A and C but not for B.

How I currently do that:
I split the ServerIP column of Table1 by delimiter ( ; ) into rows. I merge Table1 and Table2, then add a column where true is returned for matching records and false is returned for records with no match. Then I group by ServerName and perform a MIN aggregation on the true/false column. The output of the query is a table that for each ServerName contains information if there is a match for all ServerIPs or not. The problem is that I create an additional query, and I already have several such queries in the data model and the number is growing, which is undesired.

Is there any way I can perform the check without adding additional queries? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ERD
Super User
Super User

Hi @Iwanicki ,

You can lookup the values using custom M function and return result for found/not found values in first table.

1. Add a new blank query
2. Create custom function fxLookup:

(lookupValue as any, lookupTable as table, lookupColumnName as text, returnColumnValue as text) =>
let
 colLookup = Table.Column(lookupTable, lookupColumnName),
 colToReturn = Table.Column(lookupTable, returnColumnValue),
 lookup = List.PositionOf(colLookup, lookupValue, 0),
 Result = if lookup >=0 then "Found" else "Not found"
in
 Result

3. In your Table 1 click Add Column - Invoke Custom Function, fill in the fields and click Ok. Et voilà:

ERD_1-1620801126033.png

In code:

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "CheckMatching", each #"fxLookup"([ServerIP], S2, "ServerIP", "ServerIP"))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution ✔️to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Iwanicki
Frequent Visitor

Thank you all. Unfortunately, none of the ideas presented here achieve the expected result. However, the approach with custom function that @ERD seems to be the most promising, I'll try to go that way.

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Iwanicki ,

Sorry for the late reply.

Use below M codes to get the result you need:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjTUAyOlWJ1oJVM9IASzzPSAEMyy0ANCpdhYAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [ServerIP = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Custom", each let 
 serverip=[ServerIP] in Table.SelectRows(Table, each [New]=serverip){0}[ServerName]),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Custom.1", each Table.RowCount(Table.SelectRows(#"Added Custom",(x)=>x[Custom]=[Custom]))),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Custom.2", each let 
 serverip=[ServerIP] in Table.SelectRows(Table, each [New]=serverip){0}[Custom]),
    #"Added Custom3" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom.3", each if [Custom.1]=[Custom.2] then [Custom] else null),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Added Custom3",{{"Custom.3", "Final result"}})
in
    #"Renamed Columns"

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_0-1621332043278.png

For the updated .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

ERD
Super User
Super User

Hi @Iwanicki ,

You can lookup the values using custom M function and return result for found/not found values in first table.

1. Add a new blank query
2. Create custom function fxLookup:

(lookupValue as any, lookupTable as table, lookupColumnName as text, returnColumnValue as text) =>
let
 colLookup = Table.Column(lookupTable, lookupColumnName),
 colToReturn = Table.Column(lookupTable, returnColumnValue),
 lookup = List.PositionOf(colLookup, lookupValue, 0),
 Result = if lookup >=0 then "Found" else "Not found"
in
 Result

3. In your Table 1 click Add Column - Invoke Custom Function, fill in the fields and click Ok. Et voilà:

ERD_1-1620801126033.png

In code:

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "CheckMatching", each #"fxLookup"([ServerIP], S2, "ServerIP", "ServerIP"))

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution ✔️to help the other members find it more quickly.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Appreciate your Kudos.

Check out my latest demo report in the data story gallery.

Stand with Ukraine!

Here are official ways you can support Ukraine financially (accounts with multiple currencies):
1) Support the Armed Forces of Ukraine: https://bank.gov.ua/ua/about/support-the-armed-forces
2) Come Back Alive foundation: https://www.comebackalive.in.ua/

Thank you!

Iwanicki
Frequent Visitor

Thank you guys for your replies. Unfortunately, none of the suggested ideas solve the issue that I presented. I was seeking a non-DAX solution; I do know DAX, but in my use case a neat M solution would be better. M's ...Contain... functions are not sufficient: firstly, I need to check if all ServerIPs match, not just some; secondly, they might give me false matches, for example, 1.1.11 does contain 1.1.1, but in fact such a match would not make sense.
I came across an example of a user-defined M function this week, something I wasn't familiar with, and while it had a completely different purpose, it gave me an idea. If I have a solution, I'll share it here.

check out this topic that may have the solution for this problem you looking for

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/any-function-can-do-exact-match-text-in-power-query/m-p/698... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Iwanicki ,

If you wanna reduce the queries,I would suggest you do some calculations using dax:

First duplicate the column "ServerIP" from table1 then split it into rows by semicolon:

v-kelly-msft_0-1620297688523.png

Then back to data view and create 3 columns as below:

Column = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[ServerName ],'Table'[ServerIP - Copy],'Table (2)'[ServerIP],blank())
Column 2 = CONCATENATEX(FILTER('Table (2)','Table (2)'[Column]=EARLIER('Table (2)'[Column])),'Table (2)'[ServerIP],";")
Column 3 = LOOKUPVALUE('Table'[ServerName ],'Table'[ServerIP],'Table (2)'[Column 2],blank())

And you will see:

v-kelly-msft_1-1620297798918.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

StefanoGrimaldi
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

hey, 

if they are on different tables you can explore using the contains function inside M code, as a new column, here a example of it (M code on advance editor, can be added as new column), them exapand the resulting column:

Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", " new column name ", each let currenttext =[ServerIP] in Table.SelectRows(#"table2",each Text.Contains(currenttext,[ServerIP])))

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! / Did it help? Give some Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

Jakinta
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Maybe this?

let
    Source = Table1,
    FromTable2 = Table.AddColumn(Source, "FullMatch", each List.ContainsAny(Table2[ServerIP], {[ServerIP]}))
in
    FromTable2

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors