Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BJE
Helper I
Helper I

Changing the format of column headers

I have a dataset that has column headers that refer to the FY with the data in each of the columns being dollar amounts, similar to below:

ItemFY 2020-21FY 2021-22FY 2022-23FY 2023-24FY 2024-25FY 2025-26
Salary202225273033
Utilities56891112
Travel8109101213
Admin667899
Supplies151516161817

It would be ideal to be able to convert the column headers in date formats to provide greater flexibility with setting up visualisation parameters. I started developing a separate date table but couldn't work out the best way to establish the required relationships. Any suggestions on how to best facilitate this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @BJE ,

You need to 'normalise' your table structure.

Select your item field in Power Query then go to Transform tab > Unpivot Columns > Unpivot Other Columns.

This will now give you a single column of your year values on which to perform functions to convert to a recognisable date format, as well as a single column on which to add a relationships.

This table structure will also make it WAAAY simpler to create measures based on your values data.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @BJE ,

Using below M codes to get the year period for each Item:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("TY07CoAwEETvsnWKfDAxpWdQq5AioEUgivgDb+9uomIxr5h9zDoHbUhhvYCB5ARJqAgGoahTCjxz0O8xxT2OG1YkaEyNsRghCDJ73RrOMT1HwV+DFwNR5pphivMzQzG/OZuN9liWVP6J6oP+kPcNeH8D", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, #"FY 2020-21" = _t, #"FY 2021-22" = _t, #"FY 2022-23" = _t, #"FY 2023-24" = _t, #"FY 2024-25" = _t, #"FY 2025-26" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"FY 2020-21", Int64.Type}, {"FY 2021-22", Int64.Type}, {"FY 2022-23", Int64.Type}, {"FY 2023-24", Int64.Type}, {"FY 2024-25", Int64.Type}, {"FY 2025-26", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Item"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Other Columns", "Custom", each Text.Remove([Attribute],{"F","Y"})),
    #"Trimmed Text" = Table.TransformColumns(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", Text.Trim, type text}}),
    #"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Trimmed Text", "Custom", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter("-", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Custom.1", "Custom.2"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Custom.1", Int64.Type}, {"Custom.2", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type1", "Custom", each "20"&Text.From([Custom.2])),
    #"Changed Type2" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1",{{"Custom", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Changed Type2",{"Custom.2"}),
    #"Added Custom2" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Custom.2", each List.Range({[Custom.1]..[Custom]},0)),
    #"Expanded Custom.2" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom2", "Custom.2"),
    #"Removed Columns1" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Custom.2",{"Custom.1", "Custom"})
in
    #"Removed Columns1"

And you will see:

vkellymsft_0-1632731610310.png

For the related .pbix file,pls see attached.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my reply as a solution!

BA_Pete
Super User
Super User

Hi @BJE ,

You need to 'normalise' your table structure.

Select your item field in Power Query then go to Transform tab > Unpivot Columns > Unpivot Other Columns.

This will now give you a single column of your year values on which to perform functions to convert to a recognisable date format, as well as a single column on which to add a relationships.

This table structure will also make it WAAAY simpler to create measures based on your values data.

Pete

Now accepting Kudos! If my post helped you, why not give it a thumbs-up?

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors