Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ivujadinovic
Frequent Visitor

Changing data source without effecting all query steps

Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out if there is any possibility in changing my data source that i currently have for my power bi report. I used excel and now have all my files in a sharepoint folder. I have quite a few steps in the query settings that will take me a while to repeat.

Is there a way to change my data source without having to repeat all the steps?

I have already tried to copy and paste the new source into my advanced editior however becasue my navigation changes it deletes all the steps and makes me start from the beginning, getting rid of all my steps. 

If anyone has a solution please let me know.

Thank you,

Ivana 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Ehren
Employee
Employee

There are a few ways to do this.

One way would be to connect to your new source until you're at the same point where your previous query's navigation steps ended and the transformations on top of the data began. They paste the follow-on steps from your old query into the Advanced Editor of the new query.

Another approach would be to use Extract Previous Steps on your old query (MyQuery) so that the part that's changing is extracted into a separate query (OldSource). Then create a new query (NewSource) that mimics what the extracted query (OldSource) did, but using the new source. Finally, point the first step of MyQuery at NewSource instead of OldSource.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Ehren
Employee
Employee

There are a few ways to do this.

One way would be to connect to your new source until you're at the same point where your previous query's navigation steps ended and the transformations on top of the data began. They paste the follow-on steps from your old query into the Advanced Editor of the new query.

Another approach would be to use Extract Previous Steps on your old query (MyQuery) so that the part that's changing is extracted into a separate query (OldSource). Then create a new query (NewSource) that mimics what the extracted query (OldSource) did, but using the new source. Finally, point the first step of MyQuery at NewSource instead of OldSource.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors