Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

andrehawari
Helper II
Helper II

Changing PBIX from import mode to SSAS azure analysis live connection mode

Right now I have created power bi dashboard (using power bi desktop) which retrieves data from excel file. Later on I will replicate the same data model to Azure analysis services tabular model.

I have visited several page in this forum, such as http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Direct-Query-and-Enterprise-migrating-from-import/m-p/11922#... and change , but the it seems no solution provided other than recreate the all the visualization.

One of solution was provided by odegarun on the page https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Solution-Changing-datasource-from-Import-to-Direct-Query-gt... , but this solution seems not recommended by Power BI official team since it might cause hidden broken files.

Is it possible to switch my power bi dashboard's data source to azure analysis service seamlessly? What I mean is that I don't have to do major rework on my dashboard (re-create the visualization again, etc) since I have create hundreds of visualization at once.

Thanks

Andre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its actually possible and pretty easy but you have to try something that might make you feel uncomfortable.  I've been doing a bit of this lately so try these steps:

1. Open your Power BI report in Power BI Desktop
  2. Open your "Edit Queries" section
  3. Select all of your data sources, formula, etc. You need to select all queries.  Delete all of them.
  4. Select Close and Apply.  All of your report pages and settings should appear to break.
  5. Select Get Data and choose the connector for Azure Analysis Services.  Put in the server and database.
  6. After it connects, your report should all be working again, if your model is the same.  If not, you'll need to reconnect the right fields with your various items.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its actually possible and pretty easy but you have to try something that might make you feel uncomfortable.  I've been doing a bit of this lately so try these steps:

1. Open your Power BI report in Power BI Desktop
  2. Open your "Edit Queries" section
  3. Select all of your data sources, formula, etc. You need to select all queries.  Delete all of them.
  4. Select Close and Apply.  All of your report pages and settings should appear to break.
  5. Select Get Data and choose the connector for Azure Analysis Services.  Put in the server and database.
  6. After it connects, your report should all be working again, if your model is the same.  If not, you'll need to reconnect the right fields with your various items.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors