Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

leoferrareto
Regular Visitor

Change the local cache on PowerBI Desktop

Hello everyone, I wonder if you have any possibility to change where PowerBI Desktop caches. I have a flash disk and a larger storage, I installed PowerBI on disk D of greater storage to leave disk C, which is faster, just for the operating system, but PowerBI Desktop stores only on disk C, you can modify this ?

Att.,
Leonardo Ferrareto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@leoferrareto,

This is English forum, please post question in English. I translate your question using Google translator and it seems that  you install Power BI Desktop in disk D. During the installation of Power BI Desktop, you can change Power BI Desktop installation location.
1.JPG

But please note that Mashup Engine stores Power BI caching files in your user appData local directory, which is not necessarily the drive where you installed PowerBI Desktop. You can follow the guide in this blog to clear the cache.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@leoferrareto,

This is English forum, please post question in English. I translate your question using Google translator and it seems that  you install Power BI Desktop in disk D. During the installation of Power BI Desktop, you can change Power BI Desktop installation location.
1.JPG

But please note that Mashup Engine stores Power BI caching files in your user appData local directory, which is not necessarily the drive where you installed PowerBI Desktop. You can follow the guide in this blog to clear the cache.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft  It will not move the cash to D:/ I tried it , even if you install on D:/ still P Bi will write on C: , I need your comment.

@v-yuezhe-msft even If you Install PB on E:\ Still the cash will store in C:\ I have the same problem , I need any body to help me , I get stocked into two solutions : 
either :
1) Remove all the applications in C: and keep only power bi.
OR
2) The cash should be relocated to (E:) where enough space automatically , But how? 

Please I need your advice.

Thank you @v-yuezhe-msft  I tried it , although I set up in D:/ it is again store the cash on C:/ I have a big problem everytime I save time I rund disk out of space , I delete the cash then when I save again I got run out of spavr help.

You can use NTFS mount points to achieve this - in disk management add a mount point for your faster drive to the path C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Cache.

You will need to delete the contents of the Cache folder first. Plus all the cache files will end up on the root of the fast drive (no way round this). But it is a way to get the cache files on the right drive.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors