Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

serargi
Frequent Visitor

Change datasource for a dashboard

Hello,

We have a group in powerbi.com with some dashboards and reports. We also use powerbi desktop.

In this case, we have a procedure to refresh de report data from desktop version and then publish in powerbi.com. With that procedure, a person could update powerbi.com report and the dashboard will be also updated.

but... now we have a problem. The person who did that procedure is not available. Someone new do the same procedure but when that person publish the report, powerbi.com create a new report. It is because the owner are different persons. With this problem, we cannot refresh the dashboard...

what we should do?

- There is any chance to change the owner?

- There is any chance to change the datasource for this report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@serargi Yes. If this is shared with the workspace then it technically isn't owned by the workspace. It is owned in the Personal workspace. If it was originally published directly to the group workspace it would just automatically update. 

If you are sharing content with a wider audience, it is recommended that it never originate in your personal workspace. I would publish the new one, rebuild the dashboard and share it with the same end users and remove the old one.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@serargi This sounds like a workspace issue, not a datasource issue. If you published the PBIX file to an App Workspace (group workspace) then it wouldn't matter who published the report, if it had the same name, then it would overwrite what was in the Service. In addition, this is what gateways are for, so you can schedule automated refreshes...

I would recommend the following:

First, create the shared workspace so you don't have this issue. Set up a gateway to schedule refreshes. Add multiple users to the workspace so no one person owns something and you run into this issue again.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hello @Seth_C_Bauer

I did it again, but I have the same problem. After publish from desktop version, powerbi.com create another report and doesn't overwrite the original one.

report.PNG

@serargi The only way this doesn't work is if the user built the report off the dataset in the Service rather than in the PBIX...

All my tests of altering the report, or making edits still result in the report being overwritten. The only other thing I could think of is that the dataset names have a space in them that make them different before or after.

Hello Eno,

There is no space in the name, is the same PBIX (opened from a shared folder). But when I published using desktop version, powerbi create new one.

Could it be because is a copy from a personal workspace to a public workspace? powerbi only overwrites when they have same owner? there is any chance to change the owner?

@serargi Yes. If this is shared with the workspace then it technically isn't owned by the workspace. It is owned in the Personal workspace. If it was originally published directly to the group workspace it would just automatically update. 

If you are sharing content with a wider audience, it is recommended that it never originate in your personal workspace. I would publish the new one, rebuild the dashboard and share it with the same end users and remove the old one.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors