Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Franky_Piferoen
Frequent Visitor

Change datasource after publish from on premise to azure sql db

I've created some reports, for which I used an on premise sql server as datasource (Import). 

I used parameters to define the sqlserverInstanceName and DatabaseName.

I can publish and use these reports on app.powerbi.com.

But now I would like to schedule a refresch in app.powerbi.com and get the data from an Azure Sql DB.
Is this possible, or do I have to use Azure SQL DB as a source in power bi desktop before I publish my reports ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Franky_Piferoen,

It is not possible to change data source in Power BI Service.

In Power BI Desktop, create a query that connects to Azure SQL database, then go into Query Editor and go to Advanced Editor, copy Source line. Go to SQL database query in Query Editor, Advanced Editor and replace the Source line. After that, publish your Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@Franky_Piferoen,

It is not possible to change data source in Power BI Service.

In Power BI Desktop, create a query that connects to Azure SQL database, then go into Query Editor and go to Advanced Editor, copy Source line. Go to SQL database query in Query Editor, Advanced Editor and replace the Source line. After that, publish your Power BI Desktop file to Power BI Service.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

thx for the answer. I had already changed the data source in power bi desktop by changing my parameter 'SqlServerInstanceName' to the url of the azure sql db  and published the reports.
This works, but I am missing the functionality to use the parameters to change the connection after the reports are published in app.powerbi.com.

I import a rather large amount of data, which works much faster if i can import these from my on premise sql server while developing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors