Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sourpowerbi
Regular Visitor

Change datasource( Oracle-->SAP DW) for a dashboard & impact on the dashboard.

I have a data source in ORACLE & Power BI dashboards are already build using "Oracle Database" as the data source.

What is the impact if the data source is changed to "SAP Business Warehouse Application Server" & same dashboard is pointed to it.

Please let me know from the following 2 perspective:

1.From the report design perspective , do the reports need to be rebuilt ?

2.From fetching the data from the new datawarehouse ( on SAP B), perspective , would there be any data mistach issues or any other isues ?

This is taking into considerations that exact tables name,constraints, data type etc are matched & kept the same in the new datbaase.

Kindly let me know at the earliest.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sourpowerbi,

We are only able to change data source in Power BI Desktop, and you can follow the guide in this similar thread to change source from Oracle to SAP BW.

When you have exact same table structures in Oracle and SAP BW, you don't need to re-create the report and you will not get any data  mismatch issues. Moreover, after you replace the existing dataset in Power BI Service, you don't need to re-create dashbaord.

Regards,
Lydia

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@sourpowerbi,

We are only able to change data source in Power BI Desktop, and you can follow the guide in this similar thread to change source from Oracle to SAP BW.

When you have exact same table structures in Oracle and SAP BW, you don't need to re-create the report and you will not get any data  mismatch issues. Moreover, after you replace the existing dataset in Power BI Service, you don't need to re-create dashbaord.

Regards,
Lydia

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks Lynda,

One more ques..

Is it mode independent ,i.e if the report is designed using the "import"/"Live"/"Direct Query", would it impact the design with the change in datasource & any datamismatch/errors.

@sourpowerbi,

You are able to change data source using the above method in import mode. If you connect to Oracle using DirectQuery mode, it is not possible to change it to SAP DW using DirectQuery Mode, you can convert the Oracle directquery mode to import, then change data source.

Regards,
Lydia

Thanks a lot ,Lynda !

A more general query, though I think it would be seemless just would require a confirmation from you.

Would changing the Oracle directquery mode to import, break the dashboard by any means when in Oracle or impact the final dashboard in SAP BW ?

@sourpowerbi,

It will not impact your dashboards.

Regards,
Lydia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors