Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BSLATTER
Helper III
Helper III

Change data gateway region?

Hello,

I recently installed a PowerBI Data Gateway but noticed I set the region to somewhere in the US. I would like to use the same region that we are using for all of our other applications. Is this something that's possible to change (in a config file?) without having to uninstall?

If I do have to uninstall - is there a convenient doc to outline the process? I've seen a lot of people complain about the uninstaller not removing all components during uninstall and needing to delete registry keys that ideally I'd like to avoid.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BSLATTER ,

By my tests, I'm afraid that the gateway can only be used in your default tenant region for Power BI.

gateway region.PNG

So I think we cannot change the region of the gateway for Power BI.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Bevtsa88

Is there any way around this?  Our PowerPlatform is hosted in AU for Power Apps/Automate, however our PowerBI default region is West US.  When configuring an on prem gateway for the PowerPlatform we have set the region to Australia East.

Bevtsa88_0-1661818638997.png

We are ok to dedicate this particular On Prem Gateway (region Australia) to PowerPlatform (region Australia) so don't need it for PowerBI (they have their own woring gateway with region configured to West US). We can't use their gateway since PP needs it to be in the same region (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/regions-overview#region-mappings-for-power-automate-...)

We setup the new Gateway (region AU) but when trying to create a Data Source the create button is disabled. Backed end it throws a 404 - {"error":{"code":"PowerBIEntityNotFound","pbi.error":{"code":"PowerBIEntityNotFound","parameters":{},"details":[],"exceptionCulprit":1}}}

Any other options outside of changing the PowerBI region would resolve the issue? Can everything be migrated easily?

music43
Advocate II
Advocate II

Probably too late but the abililty to change the region of the gateway is a small checkbox during the install. See this link for details https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4555609/check-if-the-gateway-is-in-the-right-region

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BSLATTER ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please feel free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BSLATTER ,

By my tests, I'm afraid that the gateway can only be used in your default tenant region for Power BI.

gateway region.PNG

So I think we cannot change the region of the gateway for Power BI.

Best Regards,

Cherry

We need to be able to change the region of something - otherwise the entire platform fails.

I install my gateway, I have no option to configure region - it simply jumps to default UK South.

I look in Power Apps Admin Centre, under Manage Environments, and it shows Europe for our environment.

So, the gateway will never be seen! 

@jamesg21  What I had to do was contact Microsoft support and had our default region moved from US (in your case UK South) to our preferred region (in your case Europe).

You will have to open a support ticket and unfortunately you will have to manually migrate your content as everything in Power BI will be deleted - this may also mean any existing Power Apps will be deleted as well. I'm not well versed in the Power Platform admin side outside of Power BI.

Thank you, luckily now Europe North and Europe seem to be able to read each other, so I was able to change the Gateway region as per screenshot from the guy above. Only then, when I could see the Gateway at last, did the Flow decide to tell me I need a standalone license to use it...!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors