Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change Column Type Across Multiple Queries

Hello, 

I'm trying to import several tabs of data from an excel workbook. To avoid repetitive action I would like to change the column type from "number" to text on over 100 queries. Is there a way to do this automatically? I'm new to importing big data sets such as this one into BI. 

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yea you can import them all into one table. Start by importing one sheet. Then in the query steps, there should be 2 listed. Delete the second one to see a table of all the excel sheets. Then just click the expand button on the sheet column (don't select the prepend option). For the 00 issue, you should see a formula where the type of each column is auto detected. Just edit the column type of number (or Int*.Type) to "text"

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
artemus
Employee
Employee

Do you really need 100 seperate queries, or can you load all the data into a single table?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to get them as one table, but thought I had to import them all as seperate queries first. Is there a better way to upload them as one table? I'm running into issues using power query in excel to do this, so was trying through BI

The issue is that a few of the data fields start with "00" and I need the "00" to be retained

Yea you can import them all into one table. Start by importing one sheet. Then in the query steps, there should be 2 listed. Delete the second one to see a table of all the excel sheets. Then just click the expand button on the sheet column (don't select the prepend option). For the 00 issue, you should see a formula where the type of each column is auto detected. Just edit the column type of number (or Int*.Type) to "text"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors