Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certifiticate problem w enterprise gateway import mode, when direct mode works ok

We are using on-premise SQL server on a virtual machine and connecting using the enterprise gateway. The PowerBI online dataset and reports are built using PBI Desktop. For testing purposes I've used a single table and a single value column for a visual.

After setting a scheduled refresh for the dataset we receive the following error (I havent been able to change the system language to English, sorry for some Finnish on the table):

Pohjana oleva virhesanoma:The server name provided doesn't match the server name on the SQL Server SSL certificate. Please see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=394782. (Source at bilotreport1;bilotdw.)
DM_ErrorDetailNameCode_UnderlyingHResult:-2147467259
Pohjana oleva virhekoodi:-2147467259
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.Reason:PrincipleNameMismatch
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourceKind:SQL
Microsoft.Data.Mashup.CredentialError.DataSourcePath:...
Klusterin URI:WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Toiminnon tunnus:...
Pyynnön tunnus:...
Aika:2016-03-24 10:21:44Z

The odd thing is that with the very same setup direct query mode works fine without any certificate issues!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
datanerd
Regular Visitor

I found the link within the refresh history on the gateway to be helpful.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6y04yf%28V=VS.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In short, I was using the server shortname but the cert had the FQDN.  So i used the FQDN in the connection so that the connection string matches the cert.  Was a very simple fix.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
dimazaid
Employee
Employee

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Could you send your Gateway Logs to hybridbi@microsoft.com , logs can be found at: C:\Users\PBIEgwService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Enterprise Gateway\EnterpriseGateway*.log

DQ
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. Direct Query works. We tried FQDN and IP address to solve the issue.

Neither of these would connect to the server.

datanerd
Regular Visitor

I found the link within the refresh history on the gateway to be helpful.  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ex6y04yf%28V=VS.110%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

In short, I was using the server shortname but the cert had the FQDN.  So i used the FQDN in the connection so that the connection string matches the cert.  Was a very simple fix.

The above link does not give me information on how to determine the FDQN, or at least I am missing or not able to understand how to get it. Is there somewhere on the SQL server that can identify this?

You can obtain your FQDN by typing the following into PowerShell:

[System.Net.Dns]::GetHostByName(($env:computerName))

If you run that from the SQL server host, it will give the FQDN.

Thank you. I was able to find the FQDN (assuming it is the HostName) - I have entered this as my server but I am now getting an error that it is unable to connect "cannot connect to the server". Again it works fine when using direct query, just not on import. looks like you were having the same issue, did you find resolution?

I had to set an SSL certificate against the SQL Server. When you install the Enterprise Gateway, it creates an SSL certificate on the local server. If you have installed the Enterprise Gateway on the SQL server, you can assign the SSL certificate through SQL Server Configuration Manager.

SQL Server Network Configuration > Right click > Properties > Certificate > Select "Data Management Gateway SSL Certificate" > OK

You'll have to restart SQL services.

Should be OK after that!

I'm having the same issue, exept I am using the FQDN in the connection string. But I still get the same error message. No reply from PowerBI support yet despite rasing a ticket.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That was it and as said, very simple fix.

For some reason the unmatching connection string was working ok in the direct query, but that does not matter.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors