Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sois

Cannot connect to local MySQL database.

Hi All, I press get data and select MySQL datatabase. 

I get the following message:

"we encountered an error while trying to connect. the connector cannot be used because you are missing one or more required components.".

The Learn More link took me to the MySQL site to download 

mysql-connector-net-6.6.5.msi.

I downloaded that and nothing happened. I restarted my machine as well, no dice.

Windows 10, 32 bit office, 32 bit power BI.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sois Ignore that link and instead download x64 bit MySQL connector and install yourself. I have seen before where doing that has fixed the problem.

View solution in original post

37 REPLIES 37

I don't know how to fix, but if I can confirm it's an issue with the v8.0.33 driver. If you install v8.0.32 it works fine. The v8.0.33 driver does not work with the On-prem gateway or Excel also.

I also had the same issue and it got resolved by downgrading the .NET agent to v8.0.32. 

Yes, v8.0.32 does work fine, but v8.0.32 was flagged by our Security team as having a vulnerability which is why I upgraded to v8.0.33 which doesn't work.

Thats so sad that it is funny 😉 What vulnerability if i may ask?

Refer to advisory that says v8.0.32 and earlier at: https://www.oracle.com/security-alerts/cpuapr2023.html#AppendixMSQL

Install Connector from this link : https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

check your worknbench version and install the same version. 

@ankitpatira - Can you please share the x64 dowload link you are referring to. I installed x64 from this link but no success [I think we need .NET connector and not ODBC. I was unable to find .NET x64]

@sois / @ankitpatira

Can you please share the link for the x64 version that works? Thank you.

Getting same error.  "this connector requires one or more additional components to be installed"

Have installed .net mysql connector 32bit.  Can't find a 64bit version anywhere.

I downloaded the mysql connector from next url:

https://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/

Please select for windows and 64 bit.

It works for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

please after installing the connector what needs to be done?

It turns out that the version is of the MySQL connector is very important.  I wasted a lot of time trying to figure out why earlier versions -- some of them linked to in forums -- did not work.

For me this version only works, the new versions do not work at all

milad_bahari_0-1660843949183.png

same problem. mysql doesn't offer 64bit .net connector and 32bit doesn't work with powerbi

getting: "this connector requires one or more additional components to be installed"

@ankitpatira can you plz share that link windows x64 connector? couldn't able to find that link...

Perfect, thank you! I just downloaded the latest version and restarted  the app. It works now!

Which version(s) did you install?
I have 8.0.33... it does not work for me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors