Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jkingry
Frequent Visitor

Cannot access enterprise gateway from group workspace to refresh dataset

So topic really says is all.  I have an unnamed Power BI account for the enterpise and have created a shared group and have uploaded my dataset and a few dashboards into the workgroup.

I have configured the enterpise gateway on the server using the unnamed Power BI account, I have also configured the enterpise gateway within the Power BI account and testing connection works fine, all the accounts used have adequate access to the SQL database I want to refresh from.

When I try to schedule a refresh on my dataset in the shared group my gateway does not show up at all I only see verbage suggesting I install and configure a gateway.

So to test the gateway I upload my dataset into the "My Workspace" of the unnamed account and try to schedule a refresh, it sees the gateway and I am able to schedule a refresh fine.

So my question is....  I definitely need this dataset in a Shared Group and I definitely need to schedule a refresh.  Am I doing something wrong, or is there a way to setup the gateway for a group rather than an account?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jkingry You don't configure gateway in power bi service for the group or personal workspace but for the dataset. So first ensure you have added data sources to the gateway in pbi service by going to manage gateways and add data source. Also ensure that data source name, details are exactly same as what you've used in pbi desktop to connect to for your report. Test conection and ensure its says ok. Then publish power bi desktop report to service (in group workspace) and it should automatically use that gateway and data source added under that gateway (provided names are same).

Most likely you're not seeing gateway in group workspace is becuase you haven't added data source to the gateway in pbi service. 

Ankitpatira,

Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure my initial post was clear enough, I have a dataset in a group workspace and I am trying to schedule a refresh on that dataset in the group workspace through my enterprise gateway.  As I mentioned it works fine on datasets contained within my default "My Workspace" but not at all on datasets in my group workspace.

Thanks

Jeremy

Hi @jkingry,

I am not able to reproduce your issue. When I publish report to Power BI Group, I am able to schedule refresh for the dataset as long as I add relevant data source under gateway.

What is your data source and how do you create the Power BI Group? Could you please also publish your reports to other Power BI group workspace and check if the issue still persists?

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors