Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vpatel55
Kudo Commander
Kudo Commander

Cannot access SharePoint data source

I am trying to connect Power BI to a SharePoint list. I can access the list through the SharePoint online site with no issues.

But when using the SharePoint connector, my list is not shown. When I try through the ODATA feed, it states that "We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided", even though I have no issues with the credentials (and can access Excel files on the SharePoint site with no issues with the same credentials). I have tried both the root directory, and with subfolders only, with the same issue. I have also tried to change https to http, and the issue still persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sc2.pngss1.png

7 REPLIES 7
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@vpatel55 

You can not use the same URL with Odata. If you want to connect to a specific online list, you can use  the OData URL like following format: https://yoursharepointsite/_vti_bin/listdata.svc/ListName

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @V-pazhen-msft this has not worked, but it has provided some clues. I'm hoping these clues will be useful for you to help me find the issue.

My list is called "Reimbursements". If I use the same URL format:

vpatel55_0-1615541513625.png

I get the following error:

vpatel55_1-1615541545859.png

However, this list definitely exists:

vpatel55_2-1615541692984.png

But If I use the list name "SharePointHomeOrgLinks", which appears to be a system list (and which also appears when I use the SharePoint connector), then I can see the list with no issues:

vpatel55_3-1615541958580.png

So its like I'm being denied permission to see my custom lists - even though I can clearly see them through the web interface?

Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

@vpatel55 what if you tried it like this:

sharepoint.com/_api/web/lists/Reimbursements

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

ImkeF
Super User
Super User

try clicking on "Sign in as different user" and provide your credentials again.

It very much looks like an authentication problem.
Also make sure to authenticate at the highest level possible.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Thanks for the response @ImkeF . Tried that, but same issue. It says that I'm signed in, but once I click connect, it says that it can't authenticate with the details provided - even though I am signed in:

vpatel55_0-1615400281887.png

@vpatel55 have you tried clearing permissions on the data source then signing back in?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up! ?

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Hi @Watsky yes I have tried clearing the permissions and signing back in. I can sign in with no issues, but it still says "We couldn't authenticate with your credentials" - even though it says right next to this "You are signed in". I'm thinking this must be a bug, but it would be good to get your thoughts.

vpatel55_0-1615480885643.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors