Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you setup relationships with a Dataset?

I am a Power BI novice and have just stepped into the pool with using Datasets. In my reports previously i was pulling data from Excel tables and setting up relationships between the tables. Everything was working great. However, once i tried to pull those same tables into a Power BI dataset i noticed that my relationships were gone and some of my visualizations were no longer working.

All of the usual ways to setup relationships appear to be greyed out or not available.

Can anyone give me any advice on whether or not i can setup relationships on datasets and / or how to do this?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
LeonLiang
Frequent Visitor

@Anonymous 

Did you see the following in your PowerBI desktop? This is where you can set up relationships over your data sources. Or is this even greyed out?

Table Relations.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, this is what i see.

PowerBI_Bar.png

Hi @Anonymous ,

If I understand your scenario correctly that you connect with Power BI Dataset in Power BI Service.

If it is, I'm afraid that we cannot create the relationship in live connection in Power BI Desktop which is a limition.

If if is possible, you could download the report as a pbix in Power BI Service and then you could open it in Power BI Desktop so that you could create the relationship.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning Cherry,

This has been a little while since i looked at this however i believe that i was working with the Desktop version. The main difference, that i can remember, was that the dataset i was using was already loaded as a dataset within the service.

It's been a while though and i have figured out a different solution. Thank you for the response though!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors