Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cday21
Frequent Visitor

Can you add a Grand Total in Power Query

Hi All,

I have Table that has been filtered to only show the data I need.  However, is it possible to show the Grand Total Row to the Table, so that it is present when I merge it with anther Table? (or Possibly total each row once Merged?)

I googled, and found a Power Query Total blog,

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("Confidential"), null, true),
    Gateways1 = Source{[Name="Gateways"]}[Data],
    #"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(Gateways1,3),
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Top Rows", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(#"Promoted Headers", each ([#"Division #"] = "660" or [#"Division #"] = "703" or [#"Division #"] = "706")),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Filtered Rows",{{"Scanned Movement", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Year/Period"}, {{"LA Gateway", each List.Sum([Scanned Movement]), type nullable number}}),
    Sales = Table.Column(#"Grouped Rows", "LA Gateway"),
    GrandTotal = List.Sum(Sales),
    TableWithShare = Table.AddColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Share", {GrandTotal})
in
    TableWithShare

but the last step TableWithShare throws an error:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Function.
Details:
    Value=[List]
    Type=[Type]

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Not sure how to fit this in with the rest of your query, but to add a GT row to the table you show in your most recent response, you just need to construct the row, then add it to the table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMlQIcFEwMFTSUTI1MTQ2MlOK1UESNwKKm5hbGplZooobg8QtDMwtTFHFTcDqDSwtjZViYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Year/Period" = _t, #"LA Gateway" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year/Period", type text}, {"LA Gateway", Int64.Type}}),

//create grand total row
    gt = [#"Year/Period"="Grand Total", LA Gateway = List.Sum(#"Changed Type"[LA Gateway])],

//Add the row to the bottom of the table
    withGT=Table.FromRecords(Table.ToRecords(#"Changed Type") & {gt})
in
    withGT

ronrsnfld_0-1638559163331.png

You could certainly create a function using this algorithm, for example, and use it to add subtotals for different groups -- perhaps feeding it the Table and the column(s) to total as a variable

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
JedTeres

I used the GUI and did the following:

1. added a new custom column with the value "1." Nothing special about 1, just wanted a constant value

2. grouped by my new column and created a count (for my purposes I wanted a count, but it could've been a sum also) 

3. Appended that row to my other query

Nice to see it written out in M code but I wanted to share a beginner-friendly approach for others who stumble onto this thread...

AlexisOlson
Super User
Super User

I'd do this by grouping the table and appending that to the original table like this:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMlQIcFEwMFTSUTI1MTQ2MgMyDC0tjIzNjZVidZBUGAElTMwtjcwscakwBqmwMDC3MMWlwgRshoGlpTGyilgA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Year/Period" = _t, #"LA Gateway" = _t, Share = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year/Period", type text}, {"LA Gateway", Int64.Type}, {"Share", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {}, {{"Year/Period", each "Grand Total", type text}, {"LA Gateway", each List.Sum([LA Gateway]), type number}, {"Share", each List.Max([Share]), type number}}),
    #"Appended Query" = Table.Combine({#"Changed Type", #"Grouped Rows"})
in
    #"Appended Query"

This can be done almost entirely with GUI where the exceptions are changing the grouping definition of Year/Period and the step reference when appending queries.

1. Do the Group By like this:

AlexisOlson_0-1638565346541.png

2. Replace List.Max([Year/Period]) with "Grand Total" in the generated step.

3. Click Append Queries and choose to append the current table with itself.

4. Replace the first #"Grouped Rows" in the generated step with #"Changed Type".

This method extends nicely to calculating subtotals. For subtotals, you'd group over certain columns rather than grouping the entire table over no specific column.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

GrandTotal is just a number so remove the curly brackets and add 'each' before it.

Was it like this on the blog you got the code from?

@HotChilli No, the blog didn't have the curly bracets.  That was from me playing around to figure out a solution. Here's the link

I added 'each' before grand total, but it added this as a new column.  Is there a way to add a grand total to the end of the table? (In this example, Row 5?)

Cday21_0-1638556182402.png

Not sure how to fit this in with the rest of your query, but to add a GT row to the table you show in your most recent response, you just need to construct the row, then add it to the table:

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMjIwMlQIcFEwMFTSUTI1MTQ2MlOK1UESNwKKm5hbGplZooobg8QtDMwtTFHFTcDqDSwtjZViYwE=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Year/Period" = _t, #"LA Gateway" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Year/Period", type text}, {"LA Gateway", Int64.Type}}),

//create grand total row
    gt = [#"Year/Period"="Grand Total", LA Gateway = List.Sum(#"Changed Type"[LA Gateway])],

//Add the row to the bottom of the table
    withGT=Table.FromRecords(Table.ToRecords(#"Changed Type") & {gt})
in
    withGT

ronrsnfld_0-1638559163331.png

You could certainly create a function using this algorithm, for example, and use it to add subtotals for different groups -- perhaps feeding it the Table and the column(s) to total as a variable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors