Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kpatterson2
Regular Visitor

Can we update the dataset without deleting and adding again?

The only way I know how to update my dataset in Power BI is to delete it and add it again, which deletes associated reports and dashboards. If I simply add a new column to my data model, is that what i really have to do to see the changes?  I would think every user would think this is a major problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Typically, I work with Excel or Power BI Desktop programs and build my data model there. You can, under specific circumstances, add a column for instance and the next time you refresh, it will be added to your data model. This does not tend to work if you create calculated columns. You have to remove the calculated columns and then refresh and then add the columns back.

If you do it this way, update the data model and then load the PBIX or Excel file and overwrite the old data set, you will not break all of your reports, dashboards, etc.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors