Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ghislain
Advocate I
Advocate I

Can we get data from 2 different databases?

Hello PowerBI community !

I have an interrogation today, I want to know if we can get data from 2 different databases. For example if i have 2 Sql server database from 2 different companies. Is it possible to create a dataset in Power Bi ?

Thanks in advance,

Ghislain

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Ghislain Provided that you use "Import" - yes, you can source data from multiple SQL Servers with different credentials.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jayaxe
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi I'm facing another situation whereby I have 2 different SQL servers (by external IT vendors) and I need to install a gateway each in order to access and automatically refresh the data. I have tried to upload such a Power BI to service but there is an error saying "You do not have a gateway installed". 

So can i say it's not possible to use 2 gateways? Or is there a workaround to it?

Givon
Regular Visitor

I wanted to use data from 2 databases on the same server.  I was able to do this with a join.

Does that help?

@Ghislain Provided that you use "Import" - yes, you can source data from multiple SQL Servers with different credentials.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer But we need 2 different gateway to refresh data in this case, no ?

@Ghislain No, As long as you are importing the data, you would just create seperate data sources on the same On Premises Data Gateway for each SQL Server. As long as all the data sources in the PBIX file match to data sources on the same OPD Gateway then it will allow you to use it for refresh.

@Seth_C_Bauer I see what you mean there is a point i don't understand.

For example: 

- I have a database in my server of company 1

- I have another database in another server of company 2

- I create as you say different data sources in OPD Gateway

But where do i install OPD Gateway ?

@Ghislain In the same domain that is under your tenant.

For example. I belong to company 1, and I access my SQL Databases with Windows Auth.

But I also want data from a 3rd party - Company 2

They have provided me with a SQL Login that I can use to access their instance.

So I create two seperate data sources in my PBIX and in my gateway I've installed on my company 1 server.

The OPD Gateway can be installed on any server in your domain. guide here for requirements

You could install it on the same box as the SQL Instance, but if you are expecting a significant amount of load, then you may want to install it on a seperate server/VM.

@Seth_C_Bauer Perfect I understood the concept thank you very much !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors