Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

CameronKudos
Helper I
Helper I

Can this even be done in M??? I'm seriously stuck

Hi all,

I desperately need to figure this out for my work.

Here's the sample data: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dI7COyElnNXb33iSk1eiau8ESONHLphf/view?usp=sharing

Here's the overview:

I have a table , named 'Future Date Service Agreement Plans (3)' with two columns that are giving me trouble. They are called:

[Total_Remaining_Cost__c] 

and 

[Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c]

Both of these columns repeat the same number over and over again until another dimension in the table [Account Name] changes, then they repeat the process. 

Would I would like for them to do is subtract the [Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c] from the [Total_Remaining_Cost__c]  and the have the [Total_Remaining_Cost__c] column go down with each day. So, it would look like this:

CameronKudos_0-1645615488706.png

But it would need to start over with each [Account ID] change (Which happens when the date in the Day By Day column reaches the date in the EndDate column .

Here's a picture of what the table currently looks like.

CameronKudos_1-1645615687784.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KNP
Super User
Super User

@CameronKudos - I may be misunderstanding but, have a look at the 'Custom' column in the attached PBIX. (be sure to provide the sample file next time, I had to recreate the file manually 😉) you'll need to repoint your Source step back to your file path.

Here's the code if you prefer...

let
  Source = Excel.Workbook(
    File.Contents("H:\My Drive\Power BI\Community Solutions\Files\Future Revenue Data.xlsx"),
    null,
    true
  ),
  Future_Revenue_Table = Source{[Item = "Future_Revenue", Kind = "Table"]}[Data],
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    Future_Revenue_Table,
    {
      {"AccountId", type text},
      {"Day By Day", type date},
      {" EndDate", type date},
      {" Days Remaining", Int64.Type},
      {" Days in Month", Int64.Type},
      {" Months Remaining", Int64.Type},
      {" Days Left In Month", Int64.Type},
      {" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", type number},
      {" Total_Remaining_Cost__c", type number},
      {"Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", type number}
    }
  ),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Changed Type",
    "Custom",
    each [#" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"]
      - (
        [#" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"]
          - [#" Days Remaining"]
          * [#" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c"]
      )
  )
in
  #"Added Custom"

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
KNP
Super User
Super User

@CameronKudos - I may be misunderstanding but, have a look at the 'Custom' column in the attached PBIX. (be sure to provide the sample file next time, I had to recreate the file manually 😉) you'll need to repoint your Source step back to your file path.

Here's the code if you prefer...

let
  Source = Excel.Workbook(
    File.Contents("H:\My Drive\Power BI\Community Solutions\Files\Future Revenue Data.xlsx"),
    null,
    true
  ),
  Future_Revenue_Table = Source{[Item = "Future_Revenue", Kind = "Table"]}[Data],
  #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    Future_Revenue_Table,
    {
      {"AccountId", type text},
      {"Day By Day", type date},
      {" EndDate", type date},
      {" Days Remaining", Int64.Type},
      {" Days in Month", Int64.Type},
      {" Months Remaining", Int64.Type},
      {" Days Left In Month", Int64.Type},
      {" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", type number},
      {" Total_Remaining_Cost__c", type number},
      {"Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", type number}
    }
  ),
  #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(
    #"Changed Type",
    "Custom",
    each [#" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"]
      - (
        [#" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"]
          - [#" Days Remaining"]
          * [#" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c"]
      )
  )
in
  #"Added Custom"

Have I solved your problem?
Please click Accept as Solution so I don't keep coming back to this post, oh yeah, others may find it useful also ;).
chrome-9xf-Zagzel-B

If you found this post helpful, please give Kudos.
It gives me a sense of instant gratification and, if you give me Kudos enough times, magical unicorns will appear on your screen.
If you find my signature vaguely amusing, please give Kudos.
KIfp67uy-Sr
Proud to be a Super User!PBI-Super-User-Rank-30x30-1x

Thank you so much for thaking the time to do this!

ronrsnfld
Super User
Super User

I can't download your example (request access message when I tried), but one way to do this is by using the Table.Group function, and writing a custom aggregation that does the "running total" for each subgroup. You need to get into the Advanced Editor to do this.

Hi, I have changed the permissions now, sorry about that. I have come up with one solution similar to what you've said, but it slows everything down dratiscally, so if you do know a way to do it quicker, I'd be greatly appreciative of you.

There are slow and more rapid ways of doing the running totals.

Your download didn't have a raw data table I could use, but I was able to copy the data table shown in the report into an Excel workbook and apply power query there.

The code should work in either.

I was not sure, from your description, exactly what you were grouping on, so I chose to group on just the Account ID column, but a different algorithm could certainly be used.

The additional column is added as the last column to your table, but you can certainly move it around.

I use List.Generate to generate the running total (as a custom aggregation in Table.Group), and then add that column to the original grouped subtable.  Let me know if you have trouble adapting it, and how it works out.

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"AccountId", type text}, {"Day By Day", type date}, 
        {" EndDate", type date}, {" Days Remaining", Int64.Type},{" Days in Month", Int64.Type}, 
        {" Months Remaining", Int64.Type}, {" Days Left In Month", Int64.Type}, 
        {" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", type number}, {" Total_Remaining_Cost__c", type number}, 
        {"Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", type number}}),

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"AccountId"}, {

//create list of running totals (subtractions)
    //then add it as a column to original table
        {"Column", (t)=> 
            Table.FromColumns(
                Table.ToColumns(t) & {        
                    List.Generate(
            ()=>[rt=t[#" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"]{0} - t[#" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c"]{0}, idx=0],
            each [idx] < Table.RowCount(t),
            each [rt= [rt] - t[#" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c"]{[idx]+1}, idx=[idx]+1],
            each [rt])},type table [
                AccountId=nullable text, Day By Day=nullable date, #" EndDate"=nullable date, #" Days Remaining"=nullable number, 
                #" Days in Month"=nullable number, #" Months Remaining"=nullable number, #" Days Left In Month"=nullable number, 
                #" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c"=nullable number, #" Total_Remaining_Cost__c"=nullable number, 
                Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c=nullable number,Column=nullable number
                    ]), type table

}
        }),
    #"Expanded Column" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Column", {"Day By Day", " EndDate", " Days Remaining", " Days in Month", " Months Remaining", " Days Left In Month", " Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", " Total_Remaining_Cost__c", "Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", "Column"}, {"Day By Day", " EndDate", " Days Remaining", " Days in Month", " Months Remaining", " Days Left In Month", " Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", " Total_Remaining_Cost__c", "Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", "Column.1"}),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column",{{"AccountId", type text}, {"Day By Day", type date}, {" EndDate", type date}, {" Days Remaining", Int64.Type}, {" Days in Month", Int64.Type}, {" Months Remaining", Int64.Type}, {" Days Left In Month", Int64.Type}, {" Daily_Rate_Based_On_Days_Remaining__c", type number}, {" Total_Remaining_Cost__c", type number}, {"Funds_Allocated_Per_Month__c", type number}, {"Column.1", type number}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

ronrsnfld_0-1645788967650.png

CameronKudos
Helper I
Helper I

Hi Pat, no problem, but how do I attach the .pbix file? I've tried excel ones too with no luck. I can't paste the sample here because you need 399 rows to see what happens when AccountID changes.

@CameronKudos I requested access. FYI that you need to set it to "anyone with the link" so that anyone in the community could help/respond.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

You should have permission now. I've figured one way of doing it, but it slows everything down ridiculously

See attached file for one way to do it. If the first is too slow, you can try the "WithBuffer" option. I would typically do this calculation with a measure, but you specified you wanted it in M. Note that I had to export your data as a csv with DAX studio and bring it in so I could modify the query.

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Thank you so much for thaking the time to do this!

People usually upload it to Google Drive, OneDrive, or some other fileshare and provide a link.

Pat

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

This is doable, but please paste some sample data as a table and not as an image. It will make it much easier for someone to provide a specific solution.

Pat

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors