Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hemal_kanjia
Helper I
Helper I

Can't use excel file data as a real time streaming

Hello,

I am creating a web service and using the excel file as a source data.
Now I want to do my excel file data as a real time streaming data.
so, Is it possible ?
ultimately, I want to push my excel file data to Power BI, and when I change or update the data in excel file, it should reflect the tile in Power BI automatically without press the refresh button. Is it possible ?
I want to do this by using Web Service.
Can anyone give me the solution or example ?

Thank You.

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hemal_kanjia,

You can consider to push data from Excel to Power BI using stream datasets. With the Real-time streaming feature, you can create dashboard to display and update real-time data and visuals. For more details, please review the following articles.

Pushing Data From Excel To Power BI Using Streaming Datasets
Real-time streaming in Power BI (Preview)

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yuezhe-msft

As per the articles shared by you, this is done through Power Query. That is okey. But the client is not know about Power Query  and that is okey for one excel file. But If there are more than one excel file, at that time, we should write query in all the file. The client wants that he is just update the data in excel and save that. By saving that data in excel, it will directly reflect to Power BI.

Regards, 
Hemal

@hemal_kanjia wrote:

The client wants that he is just update the data in excel and save that. By saving that data in excel, it will directly reflect to Power BI.

Regards, 
Hemal

Hi @hemal_kanjia,

There is no direct way to acheive the above requirement in Power BI. If you concern about the complexity of the steaming dataset, you can submit an idea that enable DirectQuery for Excel data source in the Power BI ideas forum .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yuezhe-msft,
Thank You for your Suggestion...

Regards,
Hemal

Thanks Lydia. This looks Amazing. I will definiteluy give it a shot.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.
BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Direct Query mode is not supported for the Excel Sources. 

You can use third party product " Power Update" to make it auto refreshable every 1 mintues or so. But it is not in real time.

It is free for the one file. 

Check it out at HERE

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Thanks Bhavesh...

But I want to do like this:
When I update the data in excel, it will directly reflect to Power BI Tile. It's not like auto refreshable every 1 minutes or so. 
Can we do this using Web Service ? Like we push the data which is in Excel File to the Power BI , So when the data is changed, automatically updated data will be reflected.
Is it possible ? If yes, then kindly give me an example.

Thanks & Regards,
Hemal

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors