cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can't uninstall Personal Gateway

I installed the personal gateway on my laptop 3-4 months ago (before the consolidation of the installer with Enterprise).  I am migrating my SQL server from one PC to another, hence I need to uninstall the personal gateway and move it to the other PC (same Power BI Datasets.

I uninstalled the software on the original PC, then installed Personal Gateway on the new PC with the SQL Server already installed and configured.  When I go to Power BI, it says my gateway (refering to the original PC) is offline.  Searched a bit and found some tips saying to delete lagging Personal Gateway install folders.  I did this but no change.  I uninstalled the Personal Gateway from the New PC and then reinstalled it on the original PC.  Then tried to uninstall from the original PC - still no banana.

I then installed the Enterprise Gateway on the new PC.  This has now given me a second gateway choice in one workgroup.  I have a choice now, and have selected Enterprise for 4 data sets.  The personal gateway is still there "offline".  I have a second workgroup with a single data set, but there is no choice of Enterprise for this one (for whatever reason) - just the offline personal gateway.  I deleted this data set and republished - no change.

I would appreciate any help in getting this sorted.  @GuyInACube Adam, any idea?

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Re: Can't uninstall Personal Gateway

You can't remove the Personal gateway from the list today - it'll keep showing as offline even though you uninstalled it. I can see how this is confusing, we're looking into making it a better exprience.
Thanks!
Dimah

Highlighted

Thanks Dimah.  There are 2 other issues however.

1.  I wasn't able to install a Personal Gateway on a new machine and have it appear in the service.  In otherwords, it seems there is no way to move the personal gateway.

2.  I have now installed the Enterprise Gateway, but it only appears for one of my workgroups.

Any ideas about these things?

* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Did you add the addiotnal data source? 

Highlighted

I have added a single data source to my nsw PC to point to SQL Server.  This is working fine for 1 of the workgroups but it is not visilbe for the second workgroup.  My understanding is that I only need a single connection for all datasets in my environment.  Is that correct?

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Ok will look into this.
BTW when you say Workgroup, you're referring to workspace correct?

Highlighted

Sorry - my bad. Yes I meant workspace. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello,

What was the outcome of your investigation?

I have a similar problem today.

Highlighted

The design currently doesn't support uninstall. Hey told me to leave it and ignore it. They will fix it one day. 

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Good news on this - we're adding the capability to delete the personal gateway from the list in case the unisntall doesn't happen correctly. This should be coming in the next 1-2 months.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Super Users of the Quarter - Q2 2020

Who are our Super User Superstars? Who made it to the top of the leaderboards? Get the answers!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Community Summit Australia – Join Online!

Be a part of the leading Microsoft Business Applications digital event, curated for the APAC community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors