Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Can't uninstall Personal Gateway

I installed the personal gateway on my laptop 3-4 months ago (before the consolidation of the installer with Enterprise).  I am migrating my SQL server from one PC to another, hence I need to uninstall the personal gateway and move it to the other PC (same Power BI Datasets.

I uninstalled the software on the original PC, then installed Personal Gateway on the new PC with the SQL Server already installed and configured.  When I go to Power BI, it says my gateway (refering to the original PC) is offline.  Searched a bit and found some tips saying to delete lagging Personal Gateway install folders.  I did this but no change.  I uninstalled the Personal Gateway from the New PC and then reinstalled it on the original PC.  Then tried to uninstall from the original PC - still no banana.

I then installed the Enterprise Gateway on the new PC.  This has now given me a second gateway choice in one workgroup.  I have a choice now, and have selected Enterprise for 4 data sets.  The personal gateway is still there "offline".  I have a second workgroup with a single data set, but there is no choice of Enterprise for this one (for whatever reason) - just the offline personal gateway.  I deleted this data set and republished - no change.

I would appreciate any help in getting this sorted.  @GuyInACube Adam, any idea?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
13 REPLIES 13
etrav87
Frequent Visitor

Has this been resolved? When I first installed PBI about a year ago I used a personal gateway. I am revisiting the software now and realized I rather use an On-premises data gateway. 

I went through the process of setting up the on premise gateway, but when I go to set my gateway connection on datasets, it only list Power BI - Personal as an option and will not let me select anything else. This is despite the fact that when I go to manage my gateways, only my on premise gateway shows in the list, without any personal gateways being listed. 

Thanks.

hi @etrav87,
- The ability to remove the personla gateway from the list should be going live in the next few weeks. It will remove the personal gateway automatically if you haven't used it in 30 days.

- Here's a super helpful video by Adam Saxton on how to get the gateway to show up on your list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t7RO6mHATI

- The personal gateway is not expected to show up under manage Gateways, only on-premises data gateways show up there.

Thanks!
Dimah 

etrav87
Frequent Visitor

Has this been resolved? When I first installed PBI about a year ago I used a personal gateway. I am revisiting the software now and realized I rather use an On-premises data gateway. 

I went through the process of setting up the on premise gateway, but when I go to set my gateway connection on datasets, it only list Power BI - Personal as an option and will not let me select anything else. This is despite the fact that when I go to manage my gateways, only my on premise gateway shows in the list, without any personal gateways being listed. 

Thanks.

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

You can't remove the Personal gateway from the list today - it'll keep showing as offline even though you uninstalled it. I can see how this is confusing, we're looking into making it a better exprience.
Thanks!
Dimah

Thanks Dimah.  There are 2 other issues however.

1.  I wasn't able to install a Personal Gateway on a new machine and have it appear in the service.  In otherwords, it seems there is no way to move the personal gateway.

2.  I have now installed the Enterprise Gateway, but it only appears for one of my workgroups.

Any ideas about these things?

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Did you add the addiotnal data source? 

I have added a single data source to my nsw PC to point to SQL Server.  This is working fine for 1 of the workgroups but it is not visilbe for the second workgroup.  My understanding is that I only need a single connection for all datasets in my environment.  Is that correct?

Ok will look into this.
BTW when you say Workgroup, you're referring to workspace correct?

Hello,

What was the outcome of your investigation?

I have a similar problem today.

The design currently doesn't support uninstall. Hey told me to leave it and ignore it. They will fix it one day. 

Good news on this - we're adding the capability to delete the personal gateway from the list in case the unisntall doesn't happen correctly. This should be coming in the next 1-2 months.

Yay. Please post back when it is delivered. 

Sorry - my bad. Yes I meant workspace. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors